Having Fuel Problems

IGot6UGot8

Okay, here's the story. My 91 SC will start up fine first thing after sitting for hours, but will not start up at all if tried soon after being driven. We changed the fuel regulator and all intake connections, and cam and crank sensors are new. Here's what gets me... We disconnected the fuel line at the filter, then the car started great (until the fuel ran out of the lines) Hooked the line back up, and it wouldnt start again. Could the fuel pump cause it to be flooding like this? I thought the regulator was supposed to control this. I'm looking for ANY ideas before we tackle changing the pump out.

THanks
Jake

Im not sure what to tell ya, but I would check the fuel pressure engine off. It should be around 35-45 what the book says.
Then check again disconnecting the fuel regulator, and there im not sure what it should be. Ill try to look in my manual later and Ill post the specs.
Hope you get it running right soon.

Thanks, we have a book, I just haven't had the chance to check the pressure. The thing that sucks is that I just sold this car to my buddy. I feel bad cause he can't even drive the thing. Oh well... I'm sure we'll get it figured out. I just don't want to change the fuel pump and that not be it.

Thanks
Jake

You disconnected the fuel line at the filter and it ran?

There would be no pressure in the line and if there isn't any pressure then how is the fuel going to get through the injector? If you disconnect the fuel pressure regulator see if it is leaking out through the vacuum port this might be causing the flooding. I know you replaced it already. Your fuel pressure will go up if you remove the line with it running.

Jeff

I know it sounds odd... but I disconnected it twice and had the same result. I'll get a guage on it hopefully tomorrow and check it with and without the regulator hooked up. But where do I go from there? If it doesn't change, then what do I look for? If it goes up, then where do I go?

Thanks
Jake

It sound like a weak pump.
The fuel pump cycles when you turn the key that results in enough fuel to start, then the pump can't keep up with the engine's fuel demand.

Ok, here's what I found out.
Fuel Pressure with key on is at about 29-30
with car running and regulator connected is 29-30
with car running, regulator disconnected is 39-40
while cranking, car won't start, pressure is 32-37

I disconnected the return line (thinking the line may be clogged) and the car still would not start.

I'm thinking now that it's not a fuel problem. What sensors or ignition components could be causing this?

I'm stumped!

Jake

Hmmm,sounds like the exact same problem I'm having.I too cannot get my Bird to run for anything.....Hey wait a minute,your not that long haired guy I bought it from are you????what was your name again? he he he

You mean you haven't gotten that thing running yet? Guess that's what happens when a chevy guy goes and buys a Ford.

Jake

Back