rear end "swervin"

rddavis

Hey all, i have one of those hard to describe problems so bear with me and I will try and explain it. In between shifting, when the clutch is depressed, the car feels like its "swerving", back and forth and feels like its something in the rear. No noises are present, the car just rocks backs and forth and may do it 2 or 3 times when the clutch is released and throttle is applied. It feels like the rear sway bar is not on the car, I have been under the rear of the car and found nothing loose. Anyone out there know what this car is doing?? Its a 89 SC. Thanks -Rod-:confused:

Its possible that it could be the rear diff bushings,, I dont think its tire pressure. this swerving feels like I am driving on a grooved interstate (that the Trucks have left grooves in) and the whole car feels seriously unstable......HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

sounds a lot like the rear wheel bearings. Also check all bushing, like the upper control arm to subframe bushing. Mine has this feeling and on my old SC it happen to be the right rear wheel bearing, but this time its the upper control to subfram bushing that is/has gone bad.

If it is the wheel bearing, get it done as quick as possible. If not it can lead to damage to your knuckle, which means you would have to replace it also and don't forget to get a new hub retaining nut from Ford as they are a one time only deal.

easy way to tell is jack up there rear end and grab the tire on the top and bottom, and try to move the tire in and out. You should see a wobble if the bearing is bad.

Back