How much HP&TQ can stock internals take

94scnflt

I was just wondering how much abuse the stock rods, pistons, bearings, etc.. the stock SC motor can take. I am up around 256RWHP and 370RWT and I want to put on the 3 piece underdrive pulley set, FMIC, BHJ HB, and some other stuff when I get more money. My car has mostely all bolt ons with some porting and polishing.
Thanks for the help.

Detonation is your only worry. The stock crank and rods are good for over 300rwhp. If you have a good tune, you can run with what you have in mind without worries. I don't know what you have for fuel delivery, but with the stock cam, you can get by with probably 38lb injectors. That is what I have. If you have stepped up in the cam department, then you should think about upgrading to 42-50 lb injectors and a good dyno tune.

Several members have bent rods and melted pistons in the 300rwhp area, but in all cases I think a good tune would have saved the motors.

Mine is still running. ;)

Last edited:
I have to worry now.

After this winter, I was planning on breakin out the bird with the new goodies. But If I need new injectors, this is something else to think about. What do Y'all think. 36 lbs. stock injectors with a .538 lift cam, full exhaust, and opened up inlet goodies, and headwork. I thought it would be okay. Only time will tell.

Nope. There are two people who ran low 13's on 36's with the kind of other mods you listed. Both bent connecting rods and/or blew headgaskets from detonation. You might as well get 42's, they'll help to keep you safe.

XR7 Dave said:
Detonation is your only worry. The stock crank and rods are good for over 300rwhp. If you have a good tune, you can run with what you have in mind without worries. I don't know what you have for fuel delivery, but with the stock cam, you can get by with probably 38lb injectors. That is what I have. If you have stepped up in the cam department, then you should think about upgrading to 42-50 lb injectors and a good dyno tune.

Several members have bent rods and melted pistons in the 300rwhp area, but in all cases I think a good tune would have saved the motors.

Mine is still running. ;)

Ya, you defintely need bigger injectors to go much further. The stock 94-95 injectors are really only 34.3 #.

Oh.. and I'm one of the idiots that bent a rod shortly after the dyno run in my sig. Seems some idiot **looks around for someone to blame** figured running it in 5th at WOT for 5 miles v(around 2500-3500 rpm) racing an LT1/LS1 F-body would be okay. Well... yes I buried him... but no the motor didn't live. IF I'd just backshifted to 4th it prolly woulda been ok. Lugging it was pretty stupid on my part. Never even heard it ping. Although it was kinda hard to hear over the wind/blower noise. :)

Later,
Steve

Back