Chip vs tuner

MtDewd

I'm trying to decide which one to get here. Get a chip to accomodate my mods or buy a tuner. I guess I'm asking how many times do you really have to burn your chip? If it's more than a few times I can see getting a tuner. I'm not planning on doing any more major mods for a while so would a chip be a more cost effective way to go?

Your mods are pretty serious.

I'm assuming from those that you're planning on running the 1/4. Think about it this way; you need to learn the best launch and shift points to improve your times, what makes you think the 1st set of #'s is gonna give the best times?

With the amount of time & money you've already invested, go the final step and get a tuner. YOU then find what's best for your setup and use.

I agree

I do plan on taking it to the 1/4. I've been racing the 1/4 for years (turbo's), I've just converted from rice to not nice with the SC. I love this car! The only reason I ask is that I've read that people like Dr. Fred and such will burn you a chip if you send them a list of mods. It seemed like there was one way only to have your car tuned according to the kind of mods you have (if that makes sense). I know there is an ideal way for a 3.8 to run, but I guess each one is a little different.

Better example: If another SC with the same mods I have orders a chip the same time I do, we both get an identically burned chip.

That's right.

But if you have a tuner & a laptop, you can make adjustments between each run. :D

I have to disagree, but some may say I am a bit biased.

Once a car is running right, there's no need to adjust anything. Some people just like to have it to play around with idle and stuff, but in reality you don't really have to change anything once the car is programmed right.

On top of that, I would guess that 90% of people that own tuners don't really understand how to write a file. And if you don't really understand how it works, going in and messing with spark and fuel could be a diasaster. Don't get me wrong, the EEC tuner is perfectly suited for some people.

We have a simple process to get your car running right. After you buy a chip, we recommend that you take the car to your local dyno and do a few pull with a/f. If you send that info back to us, we will reburn your chip once for free to adjust your car for the ideal ratio. That way it's still cheaper than an EEC-Tuner, and your programming is done by a professional.

btw, I don't know how you plan on adjusting shift points in an AOD, it's non-electronic ;)

And the only place you should be tweaking fuel and spark is at the wideband dyno :)

Well...

if you're really serious, you get a Lentech.

Once my wallet recovers...... :D

BTW: I am a little biased, Fred's helped me out a lot over the years - especially lately. I'm sure you've got a very good product, I'm just not into jumping off a winning horse in the middle of the race. lol

Lee

Hmmmm....

This topic had me thinkin' for a long time...I am forced into a chip or a board since I am going to 42#injs'...When I came to the decision that I was gonna go with the board I was thinking in many terms...And lemme tell ya I think Brian H. @ APTEN has more than proven his ability to burn a great chip, that all speaks for itself...

I went with the Board cuz I thought it would be easy to sell if I ever got out of the car, or changed stategy...Also I have heard great things about Freds files...So anyway, we will see how it works out...I am however NOT gonna be playin' with values in the file...I may end up going by way of the Chip, I dunno yet...I see alotta guys geting rid of their boards latley...Kinda has me thinkin'...lol...

Cheers

Brad

"But if you have a tuner & a laptop, you can make adjustments between each run."

If the chip is burned on the dyno using a wide band o2, there is no reason to make adjustments. The driver can then concentrate on tire pressures, shift points, ect... instead of trying to tune the car.

I've had an EEC tuner, and now have one of Brian's chips. My only complaint about the tuner was the flimsy connector, take it on and off a couple times and it doesn't fit tight. The wire thingys are so thin that they will actually fold over when installing. The diablo chip fits much tighter and the connector is a more heavy duty design.

David

I hope....

I don't regret deciding on the Tuner Board...We'll see I guess...Now ya got me thinkin Dave...Damn...Anyone wanna buy a EEC Tuner still in the box??? J/K

Cheers

Brad

Back