Just put on a set of SVT T-Bird rims

Jeff Bratton

and have 255/50/17's tires on, and noticed on just the fronts, (Both sides) that the top back of the tire just clears the bottom of where the spindle connects to the upper arm... I say no more than a 1/4" or so. My SC is not even lowered yet. Is it supposed to be this close? So what will happen if I lower the car 1.5" like I plan too? Has anyone experienced this? That scares me man!!

PLEASE HELP me here?

Thank You! Jeff B.

I've got 17X9 Cobra R's on mine.

With Eibach spings lowering it almost 2" my 255/45 BFG ZR's don't seem to be that close. Different wheel offset or tire profile?

I have stock 98 cobra rims..with stock 245/45/17's..Now there a shorter tire but my car is lowered1.5 and it doesnt even come close

Does Anyone have a set of SVT 17"x7" rims with 255/50/17 tires? I'm thinking now if I lower my SC with this 1/4" of a gap, I will not be able to lower my car. Will the gap get better, or worse?

Jeff B.

Chris.. No I don't, not yet. that was taken from the camera from work and want to get one myself.
Purchased the corners from SCP. and at the time they were 45 bucks, I beleive they now are 50 bucks.
They look sharpe though.

Jeff

Thanks anyway JEff...

Good luck with your tires/wheels. I just received my HR springs Friday, my 18x8 wheels and 255/45/18 tires whoudl be here by Wednesday.

Wish me luck as well. Other guys with the same setup said I should not have problems.

Chris

Jeff, I think part of the issue may be that the 255 tires are a bit wide for the 7" wheels. That rim width is the absolute minimum rim size for a 255-50 tire, a 245-50 may have been a better choice with your rim selection. Having said that, you should be OK with what you have ... I used to run some 255-50-16 Hoosier road race radials jammed on Lincoln Mark 8 16x7 wheels when doing open-track events, and they were very close to the spindles on my 95, within probably 1/4". Never had any rubbing problems, and my SC is lowered 1-1/2" with Eibachs.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

No matter how much you lower your car, the end of the ball joint sticking out of the top arm throught the front spindle will not get any closer to your tire. This distance is set by the distance from the center of the front spindlle up to the top of the spindle where it is fastened to the ball joint.

If you lower the car via shorter springs, the arms will move up in the wheel wells, but the ball joint end will not get closer to the tire.

I had some 255/55/17s on the 9" Cobra "R" wheels that actually would hit the end of the ball joint. The solution there was to cut the ball joint off even with the underside of the spindle. This does not effect the strength of the connection of the ball joint to the spindle.

Chris.... Yes, Good luck with your wheels/tires dude.

Ed/George.... Thanks alot for the good news there. I guess I'll get some 245/50 next time. It's so good to have such help as you guys! Again, Thanks much!

Jeff B.

Back