PDA

View Full Version : radiator problems

94-5speed16
03-10-2003, 12:55 AM
Well i'v always had a small radiator leak that I could not find but it was never bad enough to do anything about. But all the sudden it's getting real bad. I took two bolts off the radiator fan to see the radiator and it looked like it's leaking from the top passenger side. I can't drive around on it too much later so i need to figure out waht to do. One guy on here has a radiator he said he'd sell to me for $75 and he's taking it to a place to get it checked out to see if it's good. Or i can call around and see if i can get my radiator fixed. I figure by the way it's leaking it's too late to try the bottles of radiator stop leak, and the reason i didn't use it before is because i heard it can clog your radiator. Any suggestions

thanks
dan

94-5speed16
03-10-2003, 12:57 AM
I forgot to ask if you put the wrong pressure radiator cap on if it could cause this. I lost my stock one and replaced it with a 13psi one but i'm thinkin the stock one was more that that. Could that have any effect?

thanks
dan

vancouverBC
03-10-2003, 01:29 AM
Why don't you take yours to a rad shop and have it fixed? That's what I did and it never gave me any more problems ($35. job). Your rad cap should be 16lb so it would just send to the overflow sooner. good luck

TbirdSCFan
03-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by 94-5speed16
I forgot to ask if you put the wrong pressure radiator cap on if it could cause this. I lost my stock one and replaced it with a 13psi one but i'm thinkin the stock one was more that that. Could that have any effect? 13 lbs is at the lowest end. The Haynes manual has it at 18 lbs.. it is worth your time and $$ to just replace it with a good radiator cap, IMO. That could very well be the problem.
Hope this helps. :)

Dale Puumala
03-11-2003, 12:43 PM
The rad. cap being at too low of a pressure sure as hell isn't going to cause a radiator leak. Too HIGH of a pressure, maybe.

And I'm not sure you're going to find anyone that will fix it. You have the plastic tanks. VancouverBC, yours is a 35th, probably with copper end tanks? I had trouble even finding someone around here to clean out my radiator because they didn't want to touch the plastic tanks.

If your plastic tank is leaking at the seal, it might be fixable. If the plastic tank is cracked, you're screwed. Replace it.

Mine was leaking from the top on the drivers side. I didn't even look to see if it was the seal or if it was cracked. I pitched it and got a new radiator from radiator.com.

If the guy has one for $75 and it's good, that's one route. The radiator.com price for a new one (all metal) is like $200.

Dale

vancouverBC
03-11-2003, 02:43 PM
You're right Dale, I forgot that they changed to plastic tanks on the SC. Which do you think is better? I know the plastic is lighter but is it more efficient. My manuals go up to 93 and the only rad cap was 16psi, so did that change to 18psi with the plastic tank as well? I change my cap every 2 years whether it needs it or not. Good luck

Kevin Varnes
03-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Brass tanks all the way. The plastic radiators are a failure waiting to happen. I believe the 89-91 or 92 SC's had the brass radiators.

Dale Puumala
03-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Yes, what Kevin said.

Also, I would think changing the caps periodically wouldn't be bad. I don't. Maybe I should.

I always stick with the 16 psi cap, though.

Dale

94-5speed16
03-11-2003, 11:51 PM
What should i do? Should i spend the extra money to get a new radiator? If so where's the best place to get one? Or should i take it to a radiator shop to get fixed? I'm pretty sure it's leeking at the seem at the top. Any info?

thanks
dan

Dale Puumala
03-12-2003, 12:10 AM
Well I don't know your financial situation and all that. But if it's *ME*, I put in a new one. You do, after all, have an 8 year old radiator in the car, and if it wasn't flushed regularly, could be losing its efficiency, anyway.

Dale

94-5speed16
03-12-2003, 12:16 AM
that's a bad deal. Is it very hard to do it yourself? Where's the best place to get a replacement all metal radiator?

Kevin Varnes
03-12-2003, 12:23 AM
Like Dale already said, radiator.com has them for around $200.

94-5speed16
03-12-2003, 12:26 AM
I want to do what's best for my car and i need to do it myself so i figure i'll get a new radiator and while i'm at get a 180 degree t-stat. But i also need to change my motor mounts, and doesn't the radiator have to come off in order to replace them? So i'm thinking i should just buy the radiator, t-stat, and motor mounts and get it all done at once. Where could i buy these parts?

thanks
dan

94-5speed16
03-12-2003, 12:28 AM
well i checked radiator.com and it didn't say if it was all metal or not. It just said oem factory specs.

Kevin Varnes
03-12-2003, 12:35 AM
Rad doesn't have to come out to do the motor mounts. I've done them with only dropping the exhaust and loosening the plastic cowl shield. Do a search on the tech board for more info on motor mounts as this is a very popular topic.

Call them tomorrow to confirm whether it is a brass tank or plastic tank. You might want to tell them it is an older model just in case.

Dale Puumala
03-12-2003, 12:56 AM
Actually, when I ordered mine (couple months ago) they didn't even list an SC radiator on their site. I had to call them to order it.

Call them. And ask if it's all metal, but I think that's all they sell are all metal ones.

The radiator is super easy to replace.

Dale

TbirdSCFan
03-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Dale Puumala
Actually, when I ordered mine (couple months ago) they didn't even list an SC radiator on their site. I had to call them to order it.

Call them. And ask if it's all metal, but I think that's all they sell are all metal ones.

The radiator is super easy to replace.

Dale They state that they are all aluminum... rather proudly. There is an SC listing, one with "Turbo" mount and one without. One would assume that "turbo" means the brace and opening for the intercooler, but one knows what happens when one assumes.

I'd highly suggest a new 18psi cap also.. as they can leak ;)

94-5speed16
03-12-2003, 09:07 PM
I think i'm just goin to go the cheapest way and take it to a shop to be fixed, since i need new motor mounts and exhaust work done also.

thanks
dan