Clutch Question

hockeydad2

clutch question

sorry for the additional entry. my question from above is, when releasing the clutch, when should the car start to move and how do you inspect the clutch disc? thanks, bob

Did you buy TBKHomeworld's old car? The low clutch engagement point could be the fault of the slave cylinder or a flywheel that is at or near it's minimum machined thickness. I helped someone replace a slave cylinder that started leaking on his 5 speed SC. It had always had a low engagement point even before it started leaking. After changing the slave it engaged closer to the 1/2 way point.

thanks for the quick reply, i'am not sure what happened to my orginal post. but i think you got it.
i did buy tbk's red sc car in san diego that came from texas/ohio. to me that seems normal. the 90 seems to have the problem to me. the car starts moving when the pedal is hardly released. that doesn't seem normal to me.

Right. That is the problem that my friend had. His clutch would engage right off the floor. Unfortunately with the hydraulic system there is no adjustment.

kevin, are we talking about the tbk, the red 93? the 90 sc project i'am working on i bought here in san jose, calif. back to the clutch, at what point do you replace the clutch, i may be at the point now.

I was just wondering if you had bought TBK's old car since he had a 93 and he converted it to a 5 speed and he was over in that part of the country. Interesting to keep track of that car given all that he put into that transmission conversion. Anyways, I say as long as the clutch doesn't chatter and it doesn't slip then don't mess with it. However, if you are going to change the slave cylinder and you don't know the history of the clutch I'd say go ahead and change both while you are in there.

thanks for clutch information. about tbk's car, i've always wanted an sc since 91, when i took one for a test drive. couldn't get the dealer to come down to my price. then in november my wife hit a 20k jackpot on a slot machine, so she told me to go get one. i orginally wanted a white one but his red one was very clean so i bought it. a month later i was having a time getting it away from by three teenage sons, so i bought a project 90 with several mechanical problems, now that i got it running i'am trying to do some history on the car, because it seems much faster the the red 93. it appear to be stock except for the resonator or muffler near the transmission has been replaced with a y pipe. do you know if that makes that much of a difference? the only other thing i can thing of is the gear ratio. the 90 has 228k and the 93 now has 103k.

Back