PDA

View Full Version : Limp Mode?

Tubeamp
03-10-2003, 01:09 PM
Hey all, quick question. Any of you ever experience irradic idle, caugh snort weeze, tac jumping up and down...service engine light comes on and car looses half it's power. Then service light turns off and power is back, then car runs great. Huh? What's up with that...cam sensor?

TbirdSCFan
03-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Could be. But when that happend to me, it turned out to be the DIS module. If you got a CE light, that means you have a stored code.. Betcha a donut that that code says something like "blah-blah.. coil circuit.. blah-blah". But, in rare intances, you can get a "Loss of CID" type description which means cam sensor. :)

Tubeamp
03-10-2003, 01:35 PM
Hey thanks for the speedy reply TbirdSCFan! Hope it's something simple like you say. She's at my mech. as we speek...good thing he's a friend of mine.

What a strange problem, she'll run fine for days then bam...like it's mad at me or something.

Don't know, just hope to drive her again sometime soon.

Rino

David Neibert
03-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Mine did the same thing when the DIS module went bad.

David

LJGriggs
03-10-2003, 04:39 PM
The "DIS" don't like to be hot!!! If you replace it (and you have one of the earlier model SC's with the DIS mounted above the AC compressor), be sure to put a coating of HeatSink compound (not Dielectric grease) on the bottom of the DIS before you install it.

Tubeamp
03-10-2003, 05:03 PM
Well, just got a call from my Mech. Seems to be what all of you have said. Codes come up with C1C,C2,C3C....D1D, D2, D3D? or something like that (can't remember). All things (he feels) is the DIS.

What do you guys think?

Rino

TbirdSCFan
03-10-2003, 09:23 PM
Whoa.. What year did you say? I'm used to the number codes.

But if C1C means "Coil 1 Circuit", then I'd have to agree with the DIS.

Fortunately, a DIS+Installation isn't a big deal. Probably 1/2 hr labor (really only takes a mech about 15 minutes but they have to charge at least 1/2 hr) and around $150 for the retail part. I know, not cheap, but it could be worse.

I'd say he's on the up-n-up.

pdennis93
03-11-2003, 03:12 AM
mine did the same thing, runnin on half power, check engine light, etc

luckily you can actually find them now, mine went bad during the great DIS shortage of 2000-2001, and i got very lucky and found one of the last new ones in aug 2000, they didnt start makin new ones till about may 2001.

Tubeamp
03-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Hope to get the call later on today. From what all of you have said, this has happen to all of you before...sucks, but it could be worse. Sucks that I had to take it in for one of the only parts on an SC that is VERY easy to change...ah well, that's what you get when your car screws up on a Sunday, and you have to go to work on Monday 60 miles from home.

As Forest Gump once said...#### happens.

Rino