Which "snake oil" for stopping damp leaks??

sizemoremk

Have a small leak around oil pan, no drips, just a little wet...I'd say a class 2 leak in military terms...

Any of that no-leak stuff any good???

another ? How do ya'll feel about "b12 chemtool" in yer crankcase for a "cleaning" before an oil change purpose???

first try to tighten the pan bolts. If that doesn't work then change the pan gasket.

As far as using B-12, that's some pretty harsh stuff. I would use desiel or a product made for flushing the engine. B12 will probably dilute the oil enough to cause a spun bearing.

Jeff

The B12 Chemtool is labeled as a method of cleaning in the crankcase...

I have already attempted to snug the bolts up, but don't want to snap any of the bolt heads off....

I was thinking of the "No leak" or "stop leak" type stuff that is suppose to re-constitute seals, gasketc, etc....

B12 just follow their directions then

Give it a try, I don't believe in the stuff myself. I either fix it or let it leak.

Jeff

when you take an old engine and run cleaning agents through it you often strip away varnish and gunk that is holding seals together and keeping leaks from occuring. i would never recomend using them.

Thats understanable on the flushing...

But hows about the stop leak stuff???

Should i keave well enough alone?

I have no mechanicla problems, and lose very little oil between changes, and yes I top it off in between changes , less than half of a quart...

I am affraid that I might break off a bolt if I try to get em any tighter or change em.... i'd rather wait for a head gasket to go or something....

So I guess I leave it alone....

I would leave it go. Hell most car makers say that it is just fine to lose a half quart between changes. Though I am sure it does not mean leaks. You could clean the area and then put a nice bead of permatex down to help seal it though I doubt it will work well.

I've had the exact same minor oil leakage problems on my 90 SC. I think you have to be careful with a lot of the engine/oil additives out there, but I think Lucas products are the real deal. They make and oil additive/stabilizer that I think is pretty good. I added it at my second to last oil change and the leaks diminished substantially, with no ill effects. I didn't add it to the last oil change, and it seems that the leaks have resumed to a greater degree than before...

Anyway, just my .02!

OIL LEAKS

some of additives just cause your gaskets to swell up, which will work for while......................in the end you will have to replace them...........FAST FREDDIE .

Well call me crazy, but I didn't think the SC engine had an oilpan gasket. I think the only way to really fix the leak would be to pull it off and reseal it.

Andy 94SC said:
Well call me crazy, but I didn't think the SC engine had an oilpan gasket. I think the only way to really fix the leak would be to pull it off and reseal it.

CRAZY!!!

LOL

Are you serious???

Now that you mention that, I seen a guy with a jap car bitching about a missing oil pan gasket, they sold him one for it at the Auto Zone (or where ever), but told him they were only sealed with a bead of rtv from factory.....

That's mighty cheap-*** of em....

seals

the vw motors had a sealeant on them also, but the seals in all motors can weep in later years .FAST FREDDDIE ;) ;) :rolleyes: :mad: I know who you are ???

Back