Does $80 sound fair for shifter rebuild parts?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Went to special order them at the dealer today, but i think i had heard that they run about $50. Just want to check. thanx

Well...concerning the technical writeup as I have in the past related to at least one of the authors I have some problems with it.

Do not cut the lower plastic socket. As an alternative drive or press one of the locating pins out of the way to install it. It will drop right in. Then put the locating pin back into place and you are good to continue with the reassembly.

Also the lower plastic socket should get a spring/wave washer and shim washer installed on it. Doing this on both plastic parts of the shifter tensions the cups against the shifter ball holding it more securely.

I also recommend replacing the Torx bolts holding the Dust Boot Assembly with socket head bolts. A lot easier to get out the next time.

thanx guys, as far as what parts i ordered...i just got the parts that were required in the write up by David Suez and Jerome Gipson on the shifter rebuild...here they are:

2 sockets F5TZ-7228-A (plastic)
1 spring E8TZ-7Z120-A (3 prongs)
4 washers E8TZ-7E018-A (1 pack of 4)
1 Boot E9SZ-7277-A

everything had a fairly reasonable price, but i think i recall seing the price for that one 'boot' thing...the last one on the list, being like $48 or something like that...

OH, and duffy, i'll make sure i take the whole socket thing in to consideration when doing this thing.

I hope im not getting like ripped off by the darn ford dealer...!

Adding the spring clip on the bottom is important for a couple of reasons. First, it holds the shims in proper alignment since the shims fit loosely in the bottom of the shifter housing. And yes, you want to put the shims in the bottom of the housing to raise the lower plastic cup so that it makes contact with the ball portion of the shifter rod. If you don't raise (shim) the lower socket up some, then it will fail to do it's job of supporting the shifter ball. If you place the shims under the lower cup without the spring retaining ring, then they can move around a lot and could forseeably end up jammed into the opening.

As for pressing out the pins for proper assembly, I used a pair of vise grips and a small socket to squeeze the pins out, and then a small bench vise to squeeze them back in. They are not pressed in very tight at all. Just be gentle and it works out really good.

:)

vancouverBC

I have access to the same technical information as do you. (Like the Helms you took your diagram in your article from.) I also have no digital camera. I am not a very good artist and in my estimation what I wrote was pretty clear as to what was needed.

Given that all my shifters are already rebuilt or replaced with a B&M Ripper I doubt I will have access to any further information in the near future.

need a lil clarification guys...does this mean that i must also install washers with the bottom socket? If so, how many do I need...do I need to get another pack of 4 washers to use at the bottom or can I split the pack I already have by putting two of the four washers with the top socket and two with the bottom socket? Thanx!

When I did mine I used one shim washer on each side of the "ball" of the shift lever. The shim washer was installed between the plastic socket and the wave or spring washer. You will notice indentations on the plastic socket on which the little "tabs" of the spring or wave washer go. Slap the shim washer onto the socket and place the spring or wave washer onto the plastic socket with the tabs placed into the indentations of the socket.

Clear as mud now???????

Sorry for bringing this back from the grave...But its not clear to me. And i do use the search feature :D

Are you guys stating to rearange the order of the shims from what ford originally had? Or is this the same order?

I ordered parts for a shifter rebuild, although mine seems to have been loose for a long time and used in a broken state I will try to take it apart and hope the vital parts are reusable.

So I ordered so far.
2 sockets/springs 7228 (plastic)
1 spring 7Z120 (3 prongs)
4 washers 7E018 (1 pack of 4)
I still have to source out the F-150 boot.

In what order do these parts go into the shifter?

From your post I dont follow where the 7E018s go and in what order. And/or if I am missing parts. I ordered per the shifter rebuild article.

As i understand it I get this order into the shifter.
One 7E018 > one 7228 socket side facing the up > shifter ball/handle > one 7228 socket facing down > one 7E018 > one 7Z120 > the remaining two 7E180 ? > reusable plate > Boot > bolts......

Is this the correct order?

Back