Tire size sugestion....HELP!

BlownMerc

I have stock XR7 wheels but I want to put a wider tire. THe widest I've read is 245/50/16. This differs from the stock size by almost an inch. Will this be very noticable or will the suspension absorb some of the wheel gap. My suspension is stock. Has anyone done this or seen it on a car with stock suspension. Wider is better but not at the expence of looking like a 4X4. Please help.
Thanks,
Brad

Thanks for your help. Now what Brands sell the 235/55/16's I looked on Bridgestone but they only do 235/50. Thanks again!

235-55-16 has been used on lots of mid-90s Camaro / Firebird V6 cars, and also Chev S-10 Extreme pickups as well ... should be a decent selection in that size ... a search on Tire Rack's website comes up with several GoodYears, Bridgestone, Sumitomo, Dunlop, Kumho, Yokohama, and Firestone.

BTW, the 235-55-16 will only be about 1/2" smaller in rolling diameter than your stock 225-60-16, compared to approx. a full inch shorter than the 245-50-16 size you had mentioned.

If you want something that's really going to fill up the fenders, General makes a 255-55-16 in their XP2000 II tire ... which will be not quite 1/2" taller than your original tires. No worries about fender clearance on a stock ride height car ... I have 27" tall 255-45-18 tires (on 8-1/2" wide wheels) on my lowered 95 with some slight fender lip trimming on the rear.

cheers
Ed N.

i heard that a 235-60-16 also looks good on factory rims,i was thinking about trying those next time ...what do you all think??

tire size

i have 245/50/16 on the rear with 235/55/16 on front. i went a little smaller on the front because i didnt know if the wider tire would affect turning or if it would rub. but i have seen a lot of people on here running 245's all around. hope this helps...

235/60-16's

Have just put them on and I'm happy.I had 235/55/16's and they were ok.The 60's fill up the wheel well a little better and I can again squeeze my butt under the car to change the oil ,etc.It also gave me back a little taller 1st and 2nd gears to go w/ my 327's in my 5 spd.Car doesn't look quite as low though because it isn't.

Ride suffers little

On my 35th, I've got 245/50/16 BFG's on stock wheels. That combo leaves the speedo still reading correctly.
It was the same on my SilverBird (lowered 1 1/2 with Eibach's) until I upgraded to 255/45/17 BFG ZR's on 17X9 Cobra R's. :D

No problems with either SC.

Ok so the 245/50/16 will work. BUT will the wheel gap on the stock rim look stupid. If someone can please post a pic of their car with the 245/50/16 on stock wheels and Suspension. Sorry for being a pain but I don't want the car to look dumb and pay $500 to do it.

Check my 35th in members section.

Sorry I don't have a close up of the wheels & tires, but it should give you an idea. ;)

BTW: It DOES improve handling noticeably.

Lee Maust

Back