auto seat belt on driver side no workie

good_times44

Is it the motor to it?, and if so is that hard to fix? i checked the fuse box and all is good there, not sure what to do, thanks for the help

I currently have the same problem. later I will be disassembling the pillar panel to take a look, and will report any findings. If your motor still works, you will hear a buzzing sound when your door opens & closes. Listen carefully. If you hear it, it may just be off track. I know I don't hear mine.

Where precisely is the motor for these belts? I saw wires going to a small block @ the end of the track, towards the windshield before. Is this it? Small motor if so.

mine stopped working so what I did was turn the knob on the motor to the end and I just buckle and unbuckle manully now and you'll probably need to unplug the power to the motor since it might go back if u dont

I'm sure I can fix it, I just need to know if I'm correct about the motor local.. as Id rather not remove the rear panel to find out. The previous owner hit the belt at one point when getting out of the car so it could be very simple.

Digitalchaos said:
I'm sure I can fix it, I just need to know if I'm correct about the motor local.. as Id rather not remove the rear panel to find out. The previous owner hit the belt at one point when getting out of the car so it could be very simple.
Its behind the back panel. But to get to it, you have to take the back seat out, then the side panel. Looks like this:

Last edited:
Thanks TbirdSCFan. It is a bit of work to remove the back seat, but I'll take a look at that. I didn't hear it b4, but now that I know its location I can better place my ear.

Its actually not that bad. The bottom cushion just pushes back then lift up (you can see one of the hooks in the picture its the white thing in the carpet cutout.) Then 3 bolts hold the back seat at the bottom and 2 bolts at the top where the seats fold forward. Then you tilt the bottom up and lift up. 3 loops at the top lift out and its free.

To pull the side cover, you have to take all of the door trim off and remove all the screws. There are 2 clips holding the panel to the frame by the door and the cutout where the seat belt goes through does NOT separate! Slip it down past the mechanism.

The speaker cover prys out at the bottom corners and then lift off.
The headliner has glue which sticks to the panel and it must be carefully pried off. The seatbelt cover just pulls out and off. I think those are the highlights.

Hope this helps.

Ok now I'm starting to think its the limiter switch, which I believe is at the front end of the seatbelt track. This because the passenger side belt just stopped working, but moved halfway back & then went forward again.. others with switch problems noted this.

So can these be fixed, or does the switch have to be replaced?

Thanks..

Ok took the limiter switch out & when I press it, I here a click from the motor. I therefore will assume the motor is operational. Now, the problem is when I attempt to turn the knob @ the motor's end the seatbelt buckle (one on the track) will not move, and it becomes impossible to turn after maybe 4 rotations. Does this imply something else?

Since my passenger side just recently stopped, I guess I'll try that one.

Only thing I can think of to try is some spray lub/grease. The belt might be meeting with too much friction and thinking something is in the way so it stops. Supposedly this happened to my father before and he sprayed the track with some sort of ford grease and it worked. Too bad my passenger one no longer operates and I havent gotten around to tinkering with it.

Aaron

Ok I attempted to do that with superlube, basically synthetic WD 40 but it simply drained right back out at the end of the track. What do you recommend that has a higher viscosity to stay in place? I also couldn't get to it with lithium grease, which made it even harder.

Thanks..

if you want a quick fix, to stop the dinging (thats what mine does): in the trunk next to the fuel cutoff is a seatbelt harness. Unplug it, and the seatbelts will just stay in the upright position (if they are already in it tho), this way u can just strap ureself in til u get around to fixing it.

Both are jammed in the door-open position and I get no warning report from the seatbelt sensors.

Anyone have a schematic for these things?

I have about the same problem...

I had the same problem...the motor would spin for awhile, and then I heard no more motor noise...so I unplugged it until I could see what the deal is...

When I gotr around to it , the the track fits into a slot on the motor assembly was cracked, and the internal strap had a kink in it.

I tried jbwelding it back into place, and adding some grease in the track, and spinning the motor by hand back and forth to lub it upand then gged it back up. Still no workie :( I think the kink is what causes binding an the motor to stop... The slot the track fits into may seem like its all mounted up good, and I had to remove the motor to see where it was cracked....so check this out and see what the deal is....

I will also be looking into the limit switches, and other wiring in the door, just for good measure. That kink and crack could've been coused by it not stopping at a limit....

I have a problem with my door/light left on dinger, where it will ding when the door is opened, no matter what. I have been told this is a grounding issue in the door, and I haven't gotten around to that yet either....

I still haven't fixed it yet, but I beleive replacing the whole assembly may be neccessary to fix it....it is still on my list.

Just thought I'd throw that out there....

Digitalchaos said:
Both are jammed in the door-open position and I get no warning report from the seatbelt sensors.

Anyone have a schematic for these things?

Good point, I forgot about that factory manual I got off ebay! This'll be the first time Iget to use it!

So, let me look at it....

I looked in the book, and it did have a table, and how to test what was opened and closed when, but I forgot to bring it in to scan it, I didn't like the trouble shooting parts, they use a "retraint system test kit" that they plug into for codes...I didn't realize how many tetsers they have! Everything I looked at required some sort of tester with codes....

I will post what I found of the diagram as soon as I can get it scanned in...

Ok, I would like to take a look at those. Thanks!

As a side note, I have managed to restore operation to my seatbelts. Essentially I turned both sides back toward the driving position. Then I unplugged the 'passive seatbelt' fuse from the underhood fusebox. I left it unplugged while installing my rearseat. After I was done, I plugged it back in, & both belts worked properly. They do squeek, so I will try to find a distributable grease or high viscosity oil to lube them with. In this case, I think resetting the seatbelt computer is what made them work.

Post those schematics, as I would like to see them anyway!

Back