Instrument Cluster not working

1BADBYRD

Ok, so I bought a 92 SC last week. The car shows really high mileage but seems to run good. Other than the drivers seat belt motor and a missing corner lamp lens then car seemed pretty solid. The odometer reads 278K but the previous owner gave me paperwork documenting that the motor and SC had been remanuactured in August 2001 at 244K, Like I said, the car runs strong and if the gauge is accurate, the SC is pushing about 10-11 psi of boost at WOT. My problem is that some of the items on the instrument cluster are not working right. The tach will occasionally not work at all and then other times it seems to work just finr. Also the speedo sticks. For instance, I took the car to Virginia from North Carolina over the weekend. On the interstate the speedo nover went over 60mph though I am certain I was going much faster at times. Also when I come to a complete stop the speedo will stay at 35 or so. Then when I take off it springs down to 0 and then goes back up. The boost gauge wasnt working but after tracing some lines I found a broken vacuum line, repaired it and took care of that problem. As for the tach/ speedo, I tried removing the cluster, cleaning the connections and then put it back, but to no avail. Still the same problems. I checked today to be certain the wiring to the VSS was secure and it was. Do these cars normally experience problems like this? I searched the FAQ'S ad found nothing about this topic. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you. Corey

Back