Are SC heads, block, rods, crank unique?

F

foursix

Are SC heads, block, rods, and crank unique; or can they be found on other 3.8 cars (ie. Mustang)? The reason I ask is because I have the opportunity to buy a 93 SC in "very good " condition for $1300. The catch: the engine is "blown up" according to the owner. He doesn't know whether it's head gasket(s) or if there's a rod sticking through the side of the block. I have not yet seen the car, so I can't say either. If I can rebuild the engine (assuming worse case scenario of junked block, heads, crank, rods) for a reasonable amount of money, I will buy this car. I have wanted one since they came out in 89. Please help me out here guys............All replies greatly appreciated. BTW, I did a few searches before I posted, but to no avail. Thanks for your help.

Yes most all the parts are unique. Happens that way when you build it to put a blower on top of it. Don't let that stop you though.

Where are you located? I would bet that you can find a servicable used engine.

I know of a local 1989 engine with 75,000 on it that can be had from pan to blower for $1,000.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19172

Now if the head gaskets are blown you might get off for under $500 just fixing it. From what I have read here it is risky to not look the bottom end of the engine over as sometimes a rod gets bent or the car is run long enough that the anifreeze washes out the bearings.

I know from Ford you can get a rebuilt longblock for around $2,100. Then you need the additional parts and labor to install it.

Check the parts section. Their are a lot of cars being parted out lately. I don't know how many miles are on the car but you could always try to get it for $800 -$1,000 if you have to put a engine in it.

You can build a pretty nice engine with used parts on the site.

Good Luck

Thanks for the replies.

I have heard that 96+ 3.8 Mustangs use the SC block. Not sure if that's true though. I'm an auto tech by trade, so I'll be doing all the labor. Going to look at the car Thurs. If all goes well, it'll be my first non-Mustang in about 12 years.

As far as I have learned here the rear main journal size is unique to the SC to keep the wrong crank from being installed, I also believe it is beefed up in the main cap areas and webbing.

Besides you can get good used block for $100 and a crank for under $200.

Good luck

Last edited:
Back