Warning

motocross_masta

First of all i wanna say that i am not here to point fingers, only to set out a warning to somebody on this site. This all started just a couple weeks ago.

I started a thread about removing the air silencer. I was a little confused about a few thing, like how big of a sound difference did it make? How to do it etc. etc. Anyways, soon after posting this thread i got a reply from a member telling me that it was very simple to do and took him maybe 15 mins. He also left a link to a page w/ some instructions on it. The instructions appeared a little blurry on my computer and weren't as straigt-forward as i was hoping. Because that was the only reply i had recieved, i asked if a mechanic would do it for me. I guess that was a big mistake. Soon after i got a sarcastic reply from somebody including,"If you need a mechanic to remove your air silencer then you don't deserve to own an SC. Seriously, go buy a Honda."

Sure, at first it was pretty funny, i actually laughed at it and thought,"He's gotta good point" once somebody else posted some more clearer instructions. But a little while later i guess someone was reading my thread and saw that and was very offended. His statement was that he owned 3 SC's and had mechanics do even the simplest work on it because he had arthritis. He than said that is this "certain someone" (shall i say) has a problem w/ him owning them that he should tell him now. I was pretty happy, someone who stood up to a guy that made me look like a complete idiot. This "certain someone" responded with a apologie because he did not mean to offend anyone who is handicapped.

I am not handicapped, but am in a way, held back from doing work on my car. This is why, I am fifteen. Thats right, 1-5, 15. I do not own the car now but will in a matter of months when i buy it off my parents. Now, if u think about it, 1.) My step-father isn't gonna say, "here's all the tools you need, rip apart the car and remove the air silencer." As much as he trusts me, i wouldn't wanna be in the shoes of the guy who screws something up on our car. 2.) It is currently our family car, our only car right now. To top is off, my step-father was just laid off work, so i don't wanna screw something up that may cost us a small-fourtune to repair.

(**Personal threats removed by moderator.**)

Once again, i do not want to point any fingers. If one of you guys read my thread on the air silencer i ask that they do not point out who it was, despite this letter i am still human. I ask that maybe you could reply with an,"I agree" or an," I dont agree" just to keep this thread at the top of the list so people may see this.

just a word of of experiance

Ive been on the offensive before ,. and have had others get my goat , but I have found out that making threats does not work ! ........ . #1 it may get you in trouble...,.,... #2 it may get you more than you asked for.,.,. #3 it wont get anything done the problem will still be there, believe me I know from experience, Ive threatened lots of people and it gets you nowhere, while I dont doubt you can kick some butt Im a big guy too 6'4 285 lbs .but it dont mean a thing on the internet and by the time you meet the person you are nolonger mad,...,....,. so forgive forget and move on, you will make more freinds that way, I for one feel for you Ive been on the other side of this post, and it sucks,...,..,.. as for the removal of the silencer its easy takes about 15 -25 minutes no special tools needed,.,.,.,. 10 mm socket and a razor or hacksaw blade will do.... loosen the inner fender black plastic thingy and wiggle twist and pull the silencer out then bolt together just cut the rubber mounting the rubber where it connects to the silencer, the pics are very helpfull , Im not against you,.,.,.,.,. I want to punch a few faces in too but dont I can beat peoples faces in evary day if I want .,.,.,..,. , but winning them as freinds is a better way , beleive me Ive lost some great freinds over bull shiet, people I miss alot!!!!!!!! so save your self from a bad mistake drop it the bigger man is the one who walks away ,..,.,.,.. if you email me Ill take some pics of my air box with silencer removed and pics of the silencer with mounts cut off oh yeah you can reverse this procedure for only a few dollors .

Manny said some good things.

I say leave your Parents car alone until it's yours.

Jeff

Last edited:
I was not trying to threaten anyone, it was just a warning for others to see as well. I agree w/ everything both of u guys have said and i could not agree more with Manny. I know exactly what u mean about the bigger guy walks away.

I remember this thread and remember how it impacted me.
Here is how I took it. First, the SC is a great car, don't get me wrong. Since I purchased mine (three months ago), I have had nothing but fun with it. Of course there was problems with the car, it is ten years old now! Second, I personally agreed with the comment that was made, but not how it was said. If you are afraid to take the air siliencer off, you might want to think about owning another car. I agree with that. The main reason I do agree with that is because these SC's are a huge deal to maintain. These cars are DIY, unless you have the cash to take it to a mechanic. I personally don't have the money, but LOVE to work on cars, so that is why I own one. In the first month I owned the car I dropped the stock exhaust, fuel tank, front engine bracket and a large part of the interior out. If I had to pay a mechanic to do this work, I would have been way ahead of the game just to go buy a new car. I don't mean to offend, or support the comments that offended you. But keep in mind that these cars are getting old and do require a watchful eye to keep running. I personally wouldn't touch it until it is yours. I have no problem with people that take their car in for service, I know I have been very tempted in the past, but if you are young, don't have the money, or just afraid to work on it, then you might need to change one of the proceeding.
Good luck and welcome to the car ring!
Regards,
TBSCoupe

Motocross Masta,

He already apologised, so drop it. Thomas is a good guy and I'm sure he didn't intend to hurt your feelings or for you to brude about his comments.

If anyone is out of line now, it's you. Threatning other members of this BBS can get you banned, and yes you did threaten Thomas with the remarks in your post.

David

Last edited:
I don't know who you are talking about, but I'll reiterate some of what has already been said. These cars can be very expensive to maintain and modify. The electrical systems can give you all kinds of codes that are difficult to diagnose.

For example:
-Switching the gears in the rearend- $200-500
-ABS unit - around $500 for the part alone.
-Headgaskets - parts around $200, more if you need to get the head shaved and compression tested......probably at least $1000 if you have someone do the entire repair.

I would invest the money now in a Haynes repair manual if you are just getting started with these cars. It will pay for itself in the end if you have some mechanical skills.

Mechanics are kept in business for various reasons. Some people work so much they don't have time to work on their cars, others don't have a garage, some aren't mechinically inclined, and some people just have no desire to work on cars. If you are going to use a mechanic, be sure to find one that you trust and that is qualified to work on your car, whatever kind of car it may be.

Another thing to keep in mind is, that if you are going to post anything in these forums, you should learn to expect the possibility of criticism from someone. There is no reason to get upset and hostile over it. More often than not, it is that kind of attitude that spurs more people on to make more of the same comments. If someone said something in the past to you, just drop it. There is no reason to add fuel to the fire and bring the issue up again, otherwise you may end up being the one with a broken jaw instead of the one giving the broken jaw. Are you going to punch your boss in the mouth if he tells you that you did something wrong? Good Luck in Life and holding down a job if you are constantly taking that route.

I have seen Manny take alot of critism on these boards over the years and have alot of doubters about his innovations (When is the inverted supercharger going to be done?). Listen to what he has to say.

Jeff

I would wait until the car is actually yours to begin your modifications, especially if your step-father isn't going to be understanding if you do mess something up.

We're not very "Politically Correct" (sic) here.

Most , if not all members here have pretty stong opinions on automotive technology. :p
I've taken some shots over the years, most in fun, although not all. I've also sent some, and even though they were in good fun, some were taken too seriously. :(
When I was in my teens and 20's I did most of the work on my own cars and was fortunate enough to become friends with a good mechanic who helped me learn. That was back in the 60's -yes I'm an Old Fart.
Now there's the internet and sites like this with guys that have the knowledge and willingness to help.
Just keep in mind, roses have thorns. Just smell the roses and avoid the thorns. :D

BTW: I appreciate your respect for the family driver. Shows good attitude, please don't spoil it with bad.

Lee

Re: just a word of of experiance

mannysc said:
Ive been on the offensive before ,. and have had others get my goat

Manny, I just wanted to step in here and say; Al should be returning the goat shortly. I beleive he is done with it. :D

Biting off your first modification to a car, no matter how simple, can be very stressful. Especially if you don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge. I understand your post about the silencer. A lot of old hands have probably forgotten that feeling. I'm always full of doubt and like to research things too, so I'm very much in touch with that feeling. ;)
However, bringing this back up like this was pretty much pointless, there's no warning to be given. You can delete the post by hitting "edit" on your original post. I think you both got a taste of foot-in-mouth now. Don't worry about it, just let it pass. Lord knows I've done it. :D

Mr. Masta:

Here is my .02. You seem like an intelligent, well spoken individual for someone of 15 years. I am making this assumption based on your post at the top of this thread in terms of your clear and competent writing skills. However, it does seem odd that you would have gone through all of the trouble to post that warning based on the original thread cited above...

Just try to keep in mind that sometimes the folks on this board may make a comment in writing that "sounds" much different than had it actually been spoken. There can be a lot of joking and sarcasm on this board that is all in good fun and completely without hostile intent, even though in written form it may come across differently. The regulars here who post- and more importantly answer- questions are an incredibly valuable resource to all of us who own this car and frequent this board.

I say we all give Mr. Masta a break and wish him the best as a soon-to-be SC owner.

Also, why not just seek your dad's permission to remove the air silencer after explaining to him how it is done and the benefits of doing so? Maybe he can give you a hand, or if not, just give it a try yourself after reading the various how-to's. This is usually the very first mod to be done to an SC, and will give you a taste of things to come! :cool:

Good luck!

I have now realized what an @$$ that made me look like. I guess I had a hot-head going and really had no reason to pull that off. I seem to be very stressed at the moment, everyone who know's me says i'm 15 going on 40 but you don't need to hear all my problems. I just want to apologize to anyone i have offended with this thread and inform you that i will delete it tonight after everyone has seen this apologie. Thanks for the heads up everyone and hope i haven't lost too many friends over this.:(

PS: Now i'm off to take a crack at that Air Silencer

Wasup Kid im only 19 so i know how it is to be 15. Every1 thinks ur a dumb A$$ but dont sweat it man. People on here are awesome they will help with any problem and occasionaly u get the u know what im sayin. Anyway dont sweat the lil stuff people say man. It aint worth it. I realized that just about a yr ago.

Jay

Re: Re: just a word of of experiance

Andy 94SC said:
Manny, I just wanted to step in here and say; Al should be returning the goat shortly. I beleive he is done with it. :D

Andy, you made THE LIST!

Al lol

Al, ya missed a few

GM - Gross Motors
GMC - Gross Motors Crap

and MY favorite:

Ford - First On Race Day! :D

People who let themselves get offended, offend me.

There are much bigger & greater thing to get worked up over than this. Take a minute and actually (sp) think about what your letting bother you so much.

Nick

MASTA dont worry about it.I have had the comment shot at me,(that if i could
not do something I should not own my sc.)You will find a lot of people will cut you
down just to feed there tiny ego.Keep coming back on line and learn as much as
you can.arm yourself with knowledge.Because success is the best revenge.
I have found smart mouth people can't take success.They cant brake your knowledge
but you can brake your knuckles.
:D :D :D :D :D Its allright to get mad just use it to motivate learning for success :D :D :D :D :D

I'm guilty too!

If you look under my name you will surely know what I think about Hondas, and I don't literally mean to be offensive!
:D I have been involved in my share of flames too, but that was really true that we are one big family here. I look at this board as one great source of recreation and information. Most people on this board know me as DIRTYBIRD91, and that is my board personality. I don't really care who flames DIRTYBIRD91 because he likely deserves it. My reality name is Frank, and I would much rather make a friend than to fight an enemy. When I was fifteen I did kick a lot of @$$ though!:D Glad to know that you are more mature than I was!
DB91

HEY EVERYONE....

Yeah, it was me that left the remark about buying a Honda. I have no problem stepping up and saying that it was me. Wow, I didn't realize I would be become so famous from it??? Hey Mosta, if you swing by my place I will personally remove your air silencer for you. I go out of my way to help out SC owners all the time. Thanks for the kind words Dave.

Thomas

Back