Cheap Heads

1BADSC

Just wanted to know why heads for the Supercoupes are between 1500-3000 dollars. I mean is it magic pixie dust or something. Other than they are hand done and not mass produced any good engine shop should be able to port the heads for much less including new valves and rockers.

$1300-$1500, Oh you must mean Canadian $'s. Pretty much any head that is rebuilt and ported by a pro is going to be in that price range. Used heads are cheap, build your own.

Jeff

I have looked into a place out in California... I think Fullerton, CA. The Cali team can probably reach this guys shop to confirm.

He has done many SC heads with great flow numbers and durability he guarantees. When I looked into it I believe to rebuild & port our heads was like $750. & For the works of polishing everything up & whatnot it was like $990. That's with you providing the heads. Now the flow numbers are only about 10cfm lower than Steg or Coy's heads. So the bang for buck outcome is probably about 75% to go with powerheads. This guys has better pricing because his shop does a majority of different race heads, so his R&D on these heads didn't flood him with bills to recoupe from.

I'm probably going to get a set over the summer & look up Dr. Fred for a cam based on the flow sheets that powerheads will provide. ... So if anyone ends up taking this route before I do, post it so we can see how well it turns out.

Anthony

Anthony,

I'm not understanding how that guy is able to do the heads so cheap unless he is using stock valves. I spent around $800 just for parts because I needed longer valve stems and springs to match the lift I wanted (over .600) and I went with oversized valves for more flow.

After paying a machine shop to put new guides and seats in along with decking and lapping the valves and paying for the exhaust ports to be welded up, there goes a couple more hundred and the porting hasn't even started.

If you can get a set of heads that flow within 10 cfm of Coys or Stegimiers and they will handle an equally agressive cam for under $1000, you should buy them.

David

Last edited:
Yeah, I was thinking that it would be beneficial to go with them. .. I know Steg. heads were on sale in Dec for $1,5xx. So I'm sure there is plenty of room to work with on price when you are ordering all these parts in masses. .. Plus, if you check out the shop and/or site you can see how everything is done.

Since I need a new bottom end (damn rod went last week), I will probably send my heads out there. Can't beat the bang for buck.

Now all I need is to find the right person to build the bottom end. I sent Chris W. an email. Waiting on the response now.

For some reason, I'm thinking Carlisle may be out.

Hey Dave, If Chris ends up doing my bottom end, I may be out by you fellas for a week or so. I'll let you know, perhaps hit up a tavern and trade SCtories.

Anthony

Checkout www.Powerheads.com in California. They maybe the same company posted above. They do full port/polish hand and CNC, 1.85/1.59 valve heads for $750. They use Manley Chevy valves, new bronze guides, chet herbert performance spring package. That was about 2 years ago.

They do all type of Ford headwork, not 3.8 specific, that's why the low cost. . I was impressed with their work.

$100 more for O-ring machining.

My contact was Ralph, 714-992-4909

http://www.powerheads.com

Last edited:
Back