check for bad wires by spraying water on em???

sizemoremk

Seen this idea in a thread a few das ago and wondering...

Said to spray with water to check for arcing...
If no arcing, the wires are fine???

Is this between the wires and block, or between wires and other wires??

Is this a good idea???

Seems like if you got arc between clinders, you could fire multiple cylinders at once.....am I off withthis idea???

Spray the water

That is one way mechs. check for leaky wires. Just mist the wires while the car is running (wires and the block,clamps, brackets etc.)

You can also get this little cool pen thingy (can't remember the name) but it check for RF leakage on wires...great tool, though the water thing is much much cheaper.

Rin:)

I don't recommend this?

I once used the patented 'Duane' method (for those who get the drift). I pulled off one of the plug wires and set it aside so that I could test it. I slid back the boot so that I could see the metal clip that attaches to the spark plug. I then made sure it didn't ground to anything while I started the car. I placed a screw driver in the throttle linkage so as to raise the rpm's up to around 1,000 or so (I wanted a good spark). Using a rag around the wire, so I wouldn't shock myself, I then placed my tongue on the metal clip. Not sure what happened after that but I woke up about 20 minutes later with a very swollen tongue. I determined that that spark plug wire was indeed good. All in all, it took me over 6 weeks to test each one. I had to wait a week between each test so that my tongue would heal.

Ouch, that would have hurt!! But what we were refering to is checking for leaky wires...shorting out of the insulator, not checking for spark.

BTW, never check for spark when a friend is in the car with the key...had the burn marks on my hand for a week. I still get teased about that day...though I can't remember much of it for some reason :>)

Rin:)

Back