crappy radio reception....

sizemoremk

Where to start on bad reception???

Seems like the reception is worse with engine on...

Really bad on AM...

Any suggestions??

I was hoping it was the attenna for my 1990SC, too.
It ends up being the capacitors in these radios are bad,
and these radios have a heat disipation problem.
Radio guys will tell you this radio was never designed right. It's time to upgrade. Repairing these radios is expensive.

After replacing the radio several times, the radio
guy sold me one from a newer Taurus or Explorer that fit
beautifully. The display is digital. All controls are digital.
And wiring was compatible with the CD player. My CD player
now news to be replaced for 3rd time.

hmmm I wonder which caps are bad....is it a couple or like 50 of em??? I'm not too familiar with caps "going bad" I've seen em pop, but then you'd be able to see the problem...

I wonder if this can be done with a soldering iron???

Is there an scematics available for the internal radio? I'd guess not, but if you could see which ones are noise filtering caps, I bet they could be replaced....

I have 2 radios, and one doesn't get any reception at all.
Mabe I'll tear my other one apart, and see what I can see....

>hmmm I wonder which caps are bad....is it a couple or like 50 of em??? <

About 6 to a dozen.

>I wonder if this can be done with a soldering iron??? <
Probably

>Is there an scematics available for the internal radio? I'd guess not, but if you could see which ones are noise filtering caps, I bet they could be replaced.... <

Speedometer Service in Alphretta, Georgia 770-569-8255 has repaired my radio several times. The said sometime when the capacitors go they spread some acid which destroys the printed circuit board. I would give them the radio just before this happens.

Again, pulling one out of a newer Taurus or Explorer is the way to go through improved design, and looks almost stock. Even if you repair it, the radio has a heat disapation probelm and will last about a year or less once repaired.

Well it took me a while to get a stock radio and CD player fort my 90 ann. ed. and I want it origianal...

Why does this only matter when its runnng? IF they are bad, they should not be workign at all, but I guess if they're just filter caps, ther isn't any noise ot filter out until its running..

Well I'm gona strip my extra one apart, unless it loks like I'm gonna break smething....

Call Speedometer Service in Alpharetta, Georgia 770-569-8255
They will tell you MORE than you want to know about how poor this radio is.
Every repair they did for my to KEEP it original lasted around one year.
At $300 a repair x 4 = $1200 for radio repair KEEPING it original.

Filter Caps

Typically, Caps take the ripple (noise/transiants etc.) out of voltage. If there is an abnormal amount of noise (AC in this case) the caps might not filter as well, they may be "drying up" or just out of range for the noise. The problem in bad AM reception is typically a poor or fading ground. Now this is were the fun starts...were to look first.

Have you changed your plugs wires lately...problem may be noisy wires or plugs. Plugs are made in resistor or non-resistor type...non-resistor sometimes makes noise. Also check to see if your wires are shorting somewhere.

Next, clean all your grounds...start with the ant. first, then move to the radio (ant. shield first)

Next inspect the ant. cable....pull some of the insulation (carefully please, so you can slide it back in place after) back from the sheith...if it's green....thats bad.

Start here, if nothing above works I can give you some more help.

Rin:D

I guess I'll do the h2o test on the wires then!

There is also a cap by the coilpack if I'm not misataken,, are there any others you can think of that might end up carrying noise???
Maybe there are some I can clean up a bit....mabe there is a little corrosion or rust on them....
or maybe they are uninvolved ...or maybe I have the plug wires routed too close to some other wiring( I didn't replace, them but did move em a bit when replacing plugs...

I wasn't aware of the plug types...I used the autolights that seemed to be approved of on this board, and noticed no change in receptin (and really no change in "pep" or anything else really)

I'm thinking of changing the wires, but wanted to know if they were "bad" befoer spending the money......

Thanks for the ideas guy! Now that its getting a littel warmer, I will be able to get sme of my little issues resolved.

Last edited:
To be honest, everything that is electrical can, will emit some sort of noise...some more than others. Electronic companies are (majority of them) are very diligent (spelling) in producing a product that will not emit more than accepted RF noise. Be that product a module, comp., or radio. But this doesn't meen that every product is totaly shieled from noise. Products can start to break down over years and cause problems. Now with all that electical mumbo jumbo out of the way what I'm trying to say is that anything in your car that is electical may be your problem...ya ya I know a perfect example of engineer type answers (I'm not one, I just work with a lot of them...it kind of rubs off)

So with all that in mind, there are certain things that are more problematic than others. First thing first, check your grounds. They are one of the most over looked things in the car audio world. Esspecially the ant. ground when trying to find out AM noise problems.

Next, check to see if it's as simple as your plug wires.

Check back with me if you still can't figure it out.

Tubeamp, I did all that +(4 X 300)=$1200, but it in the end it was poor electrical design of the JBL. Eventually his FM reception will go to, and then the tape player.

Last edited:
I refuse to pay that much for a radio...hel i got my CD replacement for < 30 bucks, and my radio was GIVEN TO ME FREE by someone on this sight a couple years ago.

MY second spare was working fine in my old Lincoln towncar before I replaced it with a CD player....

It is the one that won't get any reception at all...

I'm curious how it worked perfect in the TC, but not in the bird??? It had a clock on it, where the one in my bird doesn't..(one of the programable station buttons is a clock button)

I am of the opinion right now, that ther is soe noise getting on some lines somewheres...

I'll get another radio before reparing this one....300 once is too much for me!

BTW can you confirm that the only way for a cap to "go bad" is to pop!!!

What did you mean by "dryign up" I was a Surface to Air Missile tech in a former life, and never heard of em drying up??? Maybe noise outside its filtering range...but drying up??? Thoguht they'd jus pop....

Bad Cap

Basically a Capacitor can go bad in many different ways. The 2 most comon ways are they actually explode...generally due to reversing its phase (pos/neg backwards), over charging it or using the wrong value cap for the application (over charge/out of range operation etc). The other way is that the electrolytic material inside them will start to dry up, hense lower its voltage or operating range. Just like a batt. will/can start to dry up and not work properly. (this is a very basic exp. of how and why)

Hopefully this has answered your question...if you would like more information of Capacitors, just do a quick search on the net by typing in Capacitor/s or how a cap works.

Really cool little bit of reading...better put the ole pocket protector in and don't forget about those black framed pop bottle glasses with tape on them before hand though.

Back