cam senor

gtx446

good morning, what's the tell tale sign of a cam sensor going bad? hoe does the engine react? thx v

Severe bucking under load.. wavering tach.. occasional dead tach.. hard start/no start. Problems seem to clear up when you restart the car.
It is possible for the EEC to store a related code, but it is rare that it does so. In particular, it will note a lack of the CID signal.

The DIS can fire the coils without the CID, but it has to guess and it has about a 33% chance of guessing right. So, if it doesn't start and run properly, key off and try again.

dead tach you say

I have been experiencing a surging problem on another thread to which the diagnosis has been dis or plugs or wires or knock sensor. However I just read your thread and I negelected to mention in the other thread that my tach has been acting up for a couple of months now. It goes dead about 50% of the time. The car has been bucking under light load mostly within the first 20 miles then it clears up. Really severe bucking almost undrivable. Do you think it is the cam sensor and if so is it a do it yourself project expensive? etc. Thanks

Re: dead tach you say

nitrouspaul said:
Really severe bucking almost undrivable. Do you think it is the cam sensor and if so is it a do it yourself project expensive
Absolutely. Replace it. Its a $30 part available from just about any of the chain stores. Azone, advance, pepboys. I got mine from Orielly's. Very easy job to do 10 minutes if you know what your'e doing; 20 minutes if you don't. Well, actually, you might need to slot/dril out the tamper resistant torx screw, that coudltake 10 minutes in and of itself. Its the hockey puck looking thing with the wires just beneath the supercharger pulley.

Remove the SC belt by twisting the tensioner pullley bolt clockwise. Carefully unplug the sensor (brittle plastic), stuff plastic bags underneat it to catch the 2 bolts that you WILL drop once or twice, unbolt the 2 tiny bolts, pull off the puck, put on the new one in the same place; reassemble everything, put the SC belt back on, and off you go.
Hope this helps.
Rick:D

Last I knew it wasn't a tamper proof head on the cam sensor.

I've replaced a few cam sensors and if I recall, it was always a 4.5mm bolt head....or 5.5mm. Something like that.

Dale

Dale Puumala said:
Last I knew it wasn't a tamper proof head on the cam sensor.
Mine didn't have one either. In fact, I fairly sure that it never did. Those bolts are the same as the ones holding the crank sensor in place 5.5mm (or 7/32in will work also).

However, I noticed that the bolt holding the base of the cam sensor pedestal does have a tamperproof Torx bolt on it. I can imagine that Ford didn't want shop monkeys trying to mess with the timing by twisting the base, so they put that on in there.

Back