how do you get the intercooler tubes off?

good_times44

Im farely new to the sc world, and i cannot figure out how to get the big ring nuts loose on the tubes them selves. I would like to change the valve cover gaskets but the ic tubes are right in the way, any advise would be much appreciated thanks:)

I have taken them apart two or three times now and I don't seperate the collars with a spanner. I remove the nuts off of the studs and seperate it that way. The lower tube is more difficult than the upper but you can do it. Mine is apart right now so you can email me if you have any questions. ekesz13@aol.com

I bought a set of spanner nut wrenches from Harbor Freight Tools i think the set was under $20.
Why are you changing the valve cover gaskets? Are they leaking? When i first got my SC both valve covers were leaking and i found out that they are prone to leaking and that they just needed to be tightned up from time to time. the gastets are a very thick rubber material not the cork/glue type that was used on alot of cars so instead of going through the pain of changing the gaskets out, try tightening them first. hope this help you
Tony

I bought the valve gaskets before someone on here told me i can just tighten them, which i did. I just figured id keep the gaskets for a while, and as soon as my roller rockers come in ill put the new rubber gaskets in.
Did you buy the spanner wrench online Tony? cause someone else said i could get it for supercoupeperformance for 60 bucks, if i can get it from a cheaper place that you know of could you or anyone let me know, thanks

check out this site they sell tools that will do the job but aren't snap-on or craftsman quality
http://www.harborfreight.com/
the part # 41243-0VGA
the largest of the set will do the trick, just remember that if you remove the IC tubes you have to seal them up good or your car will run like crap.
Good Luck

Tony

Back