I know a 2001 Suzuki 600 is fast, but....

A friend of mine swears that there is no way in HELL that any car at the track will touch it!!! AND IT'S STOCK!!! What goes through peoples head these days?:confused:
He does not believe that a 9 second car can take his bike!:D Of course bikes are not allowed to run against cars at the track, but it urks me to hear people talk smack that have never been to a track!:rolleyes:
I know that the bike should be faster than about any car on the road, but what kinds of times can the bikes run??:confused:
Imagine if he had a 1000 if he thinks the 600 is fast! :D
DB91

Tell him to come down to El Paso, at our track people run against bikes all the time. And if he is serious about no one can beat him in a car, there is a low 10 sec street car (4500 elevation) here that races guys in bikes all the time if the price is right.

Victor

Thanks Curse!

I just had to prove a point to him since he is standing here!:D :eek:
I wish I was in El Paso with all this cold-a$$ weather!
BTW: He says that there is certainly no SC on the planet that can run with his bike! LOL!
DB91:rolleyes:

hmmmm...

I don't know curse, because I saw some 600's at the track that were running 12's. I think Coy Miller has his a$$!:D
DB91

I am pretty sure he could take me on the 1/4 and top end, what I ment was at those speeds I rather be in a car so there may be some chance of survival if there was a crash. And what about Chris Wise, he ran a flat 12 500 ft about sea level and now has added something like 60 rwhp :D

hmmm...

Chris Wise will soon be in the 11's:D :D Coy Miller lives less than 100 miles up the road from me and offered to sell me his SC for $22,000.00:eek:
I respectfully declined the offer even though I know it's worth it! I would rather go through all the pain and years of building my own.:cool:
DB91

Same here since I don't have 22,000 to blow on a car I won't be able to drive everyday. Although if I did have 22k I would buy it can paint it and say i built it :D

hmmmm.....

curse said:
Same here since I don't have 22,000 to blow on a car I won't be able to drive everyday. Although if I did have 22k I would buy it can paint it and say i built it :D

This is true!!!!:D :D :D

Yea, most 600 cc bikes that are truely stock have a tough time turning a low 12,
and... I happened onto this fool with a 600 ninja who insisted on playing with me in the 92 on the Highway....He came along side & looked over & goosed it...I thought OK, Your cool, & continued running the speed limit...then he slowed down allowing me to catch back up...& goosed it again...on the 3rd time I thought what the hell, from 80 he gooses it & to my suprise he only pulled about 5 car lengths on me before I started gaining on him, as I approached about 140 he was on my side looking down at his speedo, & he suddenly backed off...I guess it scared the **** out of him running that fast with a car he could not outrun. I backed off & he came by again with a thumbs up driving rationally this time.

Way to go!

2 Hot 2 Handle said:
Yea, most 600 cc bikes that are truely stock have a tough time turning a low 12,
and... I happened onto this fool with a 600 ninja who insisted on playing with me in the 92 on the Highway....He came along side & looked over & goosed it...I thought OK, Your cool, & continued running the speed limit...then he slowed down allowing me to catch back up...& goosed it again...on the 3rd time I thought what the hell, from 80 he gooses it & to my suprise he only pulled about 5 car lengths on me before I started gaining on him, as I approached about 140 he was on my side looking down at his speedo, & he suddenly backed off...I guess it scared the **** out of him running that fast with a car he could not outrun. I backed off & he came by again with a thumbs up driving rationally this time.

Hey, that was awesome! I would have paid money to see the look on his face!:D :D :D
DB91

Well, just for funsies, I provide the following, this is from BIKE magazine July 2002 and these are for the EUROPEAN model 600s... and personally I think the bikes are alot faster than what is shown below:

2002 Models 0-60 0-100 1/4 mile Top Speed

Honda CBR600F-S (F4) 3.30 7.30 12.3/123mph 158.2mph
Yamaha YZF-R6 3.45 7.35 11.75/121 157mph
Triumph TT600 3.60 8.20 11.90/116 151mph
Suzuki GSX-R600 3.60 7.90 10.70/129 162mph
Kaw Ninja ZX-6R 3.20 7.15 12.00/119 156mph

I don't actually care for that article because I am fairly certain that the bikes should actually be turning times quite a bit faster than those under ideal conditions... maybe their testers were 250pounds??? Anyway ... I'm not incredible from a start (tend to get spooked when the front end lifts) but I'll be happy to put money down on racing any of you all from a rolling start ... and my bike is a '99 with 15,000 miles on it... and I've maxed it out at an indicated 270 kph (168.75mph) ... it is 100% stock.

As for the 9 second issue... I might have misread, but it looked to me an awful lot like the guy your friend was talking to was someone who was firmly convinced that a pound of gold is heavier than a pound of feathers... duh... if anything (bike for example) does 11.xx or even 10.xx and the other thing (car for example) does 9.xx seems kinda obvious which is faster ...

Paul

Oh... and more useless trivia from the same mag:

2002 Honda CBR900RR Fireblade 1/4 mile 10.9@134
2002 Kawa Ninja ZX9R 11.0@133
2002 SUZ GSXR1000 10.6x@139
2002 Yama YZF R1 11.15@133
2002 Yama YZF1000R Thunderace (NA USA) 10.7@134

It's a brit mag so I'm not certain if the bikes are HP limited to 100HP or not. Hard to get a motorcycle to go faster than mid-high 10s... they tend to have a pressing desire to fly through the air...

Last edited:
plev72 said:
As for the 9 second issue... I might have misread, but it looked to me an awful lot like the guy your friend was talking to was someone who was firmly convinced that a pound of gold is heavier than a pound of feathers... duh... if anything (bike for example) does 11.xx or even 10.xx and the other thing (car for example) does 9.xx seems kinda obvious which is faster ...

Paul

Well, my friend is ignorant to the fact when it comes to how fast 9 seconds is. He has never even been to a track to see how fast his bike is, but he swears that it must be faster than a 9 second car!:rolleyes: I guess we live and learn!
DB91

Tell him to put some money where his mouth is ;-) I would wager that short of putting a turbocharger on his bike, there is no chance that he's going to be breaking mid-10s... even with heavy mods on the bike.

Being a rider of bikes I'll tell you this much...With a great rider..Most new 600 sportsbikes will be in the 10's..That being said..WIth a bad rider I've seen many a 12 secong 1/4 mile time out of a new 600..Also the bigger bikes tend to be harder to ride fast down the 1/4 when you dont know how to ride...I had a mid ten second stang years ago that I would race bikes with on the street for a certain sum of money..Needless to say I never lost a race..Just need to know what yoru dealing with...And never underestimate anyone;O)

Ya, racing bikes is alot harder than a car. Most of the mags have posted CORRECTED times in the high-mid 10s for 600s and low 10s high 9s for the big bore (900-1300) bikes. Some of the new big bores (Yami R1, Suzi GSXR1000) have a hard time launching without flipping over. After a certain point, more power doesn't really make the ET lower. Trap speed will be higher, but ET doesn't go down 'cause it's harder to launch.

I've had my RF900 at the track ocne when it was 3K miles old and bone stock. It was 90+ degrees and humid as hell. I ran a string of mid-high 11s with a best of 11.54 @ 124 mph. 2 friends were there with newish CBR900s (this is back in '97). The one had a complete exhaust and lightweight chain/sprocket setup. He ran a string of 12s with a best of 12.2 (he wouldn't let me see the slips :) The other bike had a big bore/high compression kit, ported head, complete exhaust and lightweight chain& sprockets. He ran 10.65 @ 128 on every run. He only varied from 10.63-10.68 on every run and won the day (it was bikes only with like 200 bikes there).

Mags will say they run 10s, but you almost have to be god to do it. 'member, all those times in the mags are corrected times too, not actuals.

Later,
Steve

I like bikes......

I like to look at em, and hear em, but you can't pay me enough to run 140 on a bike. I'll do it in my car, but you can keep the bikes. Especially here in Chicago where half of the drivers are wacko anyway.

I read somewhere that someone got a Stock GSX-R 1000R to run a 9.8@140mph. I think they put a slick on that back but still. 9's on a stock bike. I want one!

When I was driving my '91 daily I used to mess with bikes on the highway. I got a lot of thumbs up also and actually put it too some of them. I remember this one hard case on a Ninja that I couldn't keep up with, but he didn't have a helmet or even glasses. I would get up to 135-140 and he would not let off as long as I was on his a$$. I've had a fast bike myself so I know how painfull that is on the eyes. So just to see how much of a hard a$$ he was I kept getting to 120+ every chance I got. He lasted the whole time until we parted ways which was about 12 miles. He would see me come at him when the traffic broke, shake his head and take off again. Me and my girl were on the way to work and all I could do was laugh at this guy. He was in obvious pain and were listening to the radio and sucking up some A/C in the Texas heat. We made it to work really early that day.

Vernon

Say what you want about 1/4 mile times & maybe living in Co effects them like it effects the cars ETs at higher elevations, but we race for points in NHRA division 5, and have run many bikes. & seen many run fast cars usually to loose. Again I'm only speaking from what I've seen, & most ...even modified bikes ( strickly race setup with extended rear swing arms, etc...) only run low 12s , with the occaisional low 11 sec bike!
Some of these do run rev limiters and speed limiters for consistancy, so could usually be a bit faster, but thats what Time trials are for!
Street bikes again I say low 12s are good, and I'm talking fairly serious racers...I've talked to several, and it does seem most prefer 700cc or less foe ease of control.
To see sub 9 sec bikes, you are looking at Serious racing bikes!

Back