ABS pump run time.... Need help

tbirdboy

Just installed a new Prior Accum. KOEO. Pump runs and runs. How long before system should be pressurized. Dont want to blow the motor. Have 2 good relays on standby. Hood's up as I type. Thanks

Ford says that the pump could take up to one minute to pressurize. I had to replace my accumulator last month with a prior unit. I had to put in a new relay also as it was malfunctioning. For all I know the relay being bad might have contributed to the accumulator failing. For the cost of the relay it is good to just go ahead and replace it with a new one. I think that it was about $8.00 from Autozone. If the relay continues to malfunction it will eventually cause your hydraulic pump to break.

Bob

Well added additional fluid thinking it was low which it partly was but I think I overdid it. Over flows when I step on the brake so I had to drain some. Pump stays on still so my next best guess would be the pressure switch. Hope that is it.

tbirdboy said:
Just installed a new Prior Accum. KOEO. Pump runs and runs. How long before system should be pressurized. Dont want to blow the motor. Have 2 good relays on standby. Hood's up as I type. Thanks
Should stop after about 2 minutes with a new accumulator on the initial startup. Do the brake and antilock lights go off? Also, try tapping on the relay, you could have a sticking one.

Just a thought......

In general, it is not necessary to bleed the brakes when you replace the accumulator, but if you feel that the initial pressurizing time at start-up is too long, it might be worth while to have the system bled. It takes longer to pressurize air than it does hydraulic fluid. If the pressure switch fails, the pump will typically not kick on at all........

If you check the initial start-up run time with a stop-watch, you will probably find that it is less than you think. One minute sitting in the car with Key-on Engine-off listening to the ABS pump reach pressure seems like forever.........

Back