Rerouting the intercooler tubes an mounting IC....

phils89sc

I was just curious as to if anyone has ever attempted to re-route the tubing for the intercooler. By this I mean relocating the intercooler to a different location and running there own tubing to it. I know this sounds sort of cheesy, but is it feasible?

Thanks

Phil Stocker

Yes it can and has been done. It will take some custom IC pipes, clamps and etc... There is a guy that built a custom Top-mounted IC that sticks out of a hole in the top of the hood. He was going to put some sort of shaker hood scoop there but I don't know if he ever completed it or not.

The things that you are going to want to accomplish is a lesser pressure drop than the stock set-up plus better cooling ability by larger IC and better placement for cooling.

Bob

Please expain "pressure drop"..

I am not really familiar with that term. I know it is probably related to the size of the piping and the length, one would think the longer the piping, the more the pressure drop, hence less power right? My biggest concern for trying to do this is accessibility to my engine. The way it is now, it totally sucks!! Plus, the stock piping seems so restrictive. Can you help?

Thanks

Phil

by pressure drop he means the pressure th IC takes away from your boost. for example, if your sc is putting out 15 pounds of boost, after going through the stock IC, the boost is really 11 or 12 pounds to the engine. really the engine only gets 11 or 12 while the sc is putting out 15. a less restrictive IC will keep the boost closer to what the sc is putting out, thus allowing more air into the engine and creating more power.
hope this helps.

It is not really the size of the IC tubes as much as it is the size and location of the IC that makes it a less than desireable performer. The diameter of the IC tubes is more than ample to supply the volume of air that is needed to produce good #'s.

Check out Magnum Powers web-site and you will get a better idea about how the supercharger on the SC works and can be improved.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Phil,

If your going to go to the trouble of rerouting IC tubes and relocating the IC, you should make it worth the effort and install a larger IC at the same time.

Several guys around here have fabricated their own front mount intercoolers and Magnum Powers is now selling a kit. I installed the MP kit about 3 or 4 months ago and I am very happy with it.
Here is a link with a few pics.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14083&highlight=FMIC

David

Last edited:
I am planning on relocating my IC as well. I am currnetly looking at a 'horizontal' mounted unit used in conjunction with a Xenon '92-93 front air dam. I'll have to check the manufacturer of the IC when I get home, but the one I was looking at is a 3-core unit (measuring 27" wide). I was also planning on some fans to push/pull the air through the IC. I have much more info at home. You can email me for more specific info if you want it. I was looking at less than $1000 for this type of set-up as opposed to the $1550+ for the MP FMIC.

Back