Mainfold porting

1BADSC

Can the stock manifold collector be pported while it is still on the car. Just wondering because it would be much easier. And is there a science to it or can you just use grinding tools until you reach the desired diameter.

None of those really say what to do. They just say who sells them and to not port the top side. I read those as they came out.

There you go, not much to it. Takes some work. Do another search it gets mentioned every other day.

Jeff

You can port the lip off of the collector while they are still on the car. Just be careful not to take too much off or you won't be able to seal the exhaust properly. Just take off the lip all the way around the edge of the collector. The lip is the largest restrictor on the stock manifold. You can do minor additional cleaning on the exhaust port side if they are removed but like I said the biggest restrictor is the lip of the collector.

Bob

Dremel it mang!

I used a dremel with those little round sanding drums. I went through about five 60 grit ones on each side. MAKE SURE you have a good dust mask - I had rusty snots for three days and I did mine on the work bench. I imagine leaving them on the car would be quicker then taking them off because these cars are a total pain in the *** to work on. Be advised you need to ensure you have the proper eye & breathing protection. If you will be laying under you car i'd suggest something like a sandblasting helmet. Good lighting too....It's an easy mod nut don't mess it up!

I grinded mine down a lot, all the way out until I could use a 2" drum to round it out again. I would use grinding stones to get rid of a majority of the lip, much faster, and then step up to the drum to make it round again. Like it has been said though don't go to much or it won't seal right, 2" is about the best you should get. If you can possible rent or borrow a die grinder it will also cut that time down from about 4 hours of grinding to an hour at most.

Back