various questions for minor repairs

Digitalchaos

With the acquiring of my new 1993 5speed SC today, I have several questions reguarding minor repair details to be performed.

First, the drivers power seatbelt is no longer functional. I believe the motor is bad, as a quick check did not turn up any electrical hum from a motor trying to drive a frozen track. Roughly, what does it involve to check the seatbelt assembly and if need be replace its motor?

Second, the coolant level sensor-plug on the overflow tank had partially melted at one point exposing one of the contacts, and has since been disconnected. The system appears to operate as normal. What might have cuased this (boiling over?) and can I just replace it by cutting the old one off and wiring a new one from Ford? & its cost?

Third, my cruise control is currently unoperational. I recall information from prior times about a servo unit under the hood. What parts should I check for failure when attempting to troubleshoot the CC system? I suspect it could be something simple.. perhaps even a fuse as I have not checked.

Fourth. MY ARC flashes 3 times, and I believe the click comes from the left rear shock. Does 3 times correspond with this shock absorber? Is anything special required to access the acuator assembly for the rear shocks to check and clean them?

And one more.. at least for now, I only have 1 unit enclosure resting upon the rear trunk-shelf, the one below the rear deck. I've the base radio, so no amp should be present. However, should there not be both an ABS computer and an ARC computer on the rear shelf.. or was the ABS computer relocated in '93? The brakes & ARC appear to operate as normal, except for the proir mentioned shock on the ARC system.

Ok I've remembered another question.. I need some new idler pulleys; what do you recommend getting? Can I get some from Autozone that would fit appropriatley, or should I go to Ford? If from the dealer, does anyone happen to know part numbers?

Any help is appreciated as always. Thanks everyone!

The car is actually in excellent condition overall, the paint looks great with the exception of occasional minor blemishes, and the interior is near perfect. No body rust, and only minor undercarriage surfacemetal rust on suspension components/frame.

Last edited:
Not sure about the rest but the cruise servo is under the drivers side fender. If the car has ever been in an accident, it's a common item to be damaged.

It's covered under a black rubber cover in the picture below, just ahead of the front wheel.

rightfrontnofender.jpg

Another question.. Is it possible to wire an auto dimming rearview mirror into an SC that doesn't already have one? It seems the only wiring it needs is for power, ground, and negative as there are 3 terminals. Is this correct? Let me know.. thanks!

Yes, its possible to wire in a mirror. If you want to do it the easiest way, all you need is +12V and ground. The third wire is the shut down input which shuts down the mirror when the car is put into reverse.

Ok thanks Dustin; I figured something like that. I assume that shutdown wire is a switch or similar linked to the transmission, perhaps with the reverse lights..

By any chance would ford have put a harness in the headliner for the power mirror, like they do with other electronic options even if its not present on that car?

Thanks agian.. I am partially using this post as a list to remember what details need attention so I may add stuff regularly.

Ok I obtained a coolant level sensor and coolant level sensor plug today. I intend on cutting the sensor plug off of my car and splicing in the new plug. Then obviously installing the coolant level sensor. What precausions do you think I should take to ensure that this new sensor & plug doesn't fry like the last one? (I am unaware why the last plug melted.)

Back