Autometer Guage question

Billabong089

Hey I just bought a voltmeter for my car, and I'm just wondering the best place to hook the wires to, I got an autometer boost guage already and the pillar on the windshield, I was wondering if i could tap into the 12volt wire going to the autometer boost guage and use that ground too, that would be the lazy way, but I dont want to overload anything and set my car on fire lol...

I'm a newb when it comes to electrical things... as I was looking under the dash I saw some fuses and I think the previous owner hooked the the wire in there some how, you can see a wire going into a fuse in the front of the fuse box, so could I do that? I'm trying to get the easiest way to do this... ;)

Thanks

I actually hooked both my A-Pilar gauges to my remote 12v on my stereo system to be able to turn them off. We have a big problem here with police and street racing, so it's handy to turn them off. You could also use a switch if you want.

I have both power and ground wires connected and it's been flawless.

thanks, I just don't wanna connect too many wires to one wire lol, the instructions say ANY 12volt source so.... I dont know...

And why would the cops care if you had aftermarket guages...? I guess he would think that you race because a normal person wouldn't need them but still I think thats redicioulous... thanks for your advice though ;)

volt meter

Above all, be aware that the the voltage source must be switchable. That is, the voltage can be disconnected from the meter when the engine is not running, or the battery will be discharged over time. Usually this is done through the ignition switch. To measure battery voltage, use a relay controled by the switchable source (ignition) plus a wire from the + side of the battery through the relay to the meter to ground.

Back