Speedo/odometer cut out

tbonz

I have a 91 SC with a 145 speedo thats been in for around 30000 miles. Yesterday it stopped registering both speed, and mileage. Before I take it out, is there anyone that knows if there is some sort of speed sensor or anything that could have caused this? Anyone had a similar experience? Also, I know there was a post about 160 speedos a while ago, did anyone find out if they are available? Thanx for any help!:D

Does the speed (cruise) control work on your car? If so the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is good.

I had the same thing happen to me and when I removed the speedometer from the dash I found the part number tag from the top of the unit had fallen down inside the guts of the meter and stopped it from working.

Thanx, I'll have to try the cruise control when I go to work tomorrow. I'll post an update, thanx again!!:D

Cruise control didn't work. So I guess that means VSS? How hard is this thing to get at, and where is it located? Thanx for that tip, saved me trial and error =)

Well...my test is an indicator but not conclusive. If you want to make the leap of faith though the VSS is on the side of the transmisson on manual cars and I would suppose automatics as well. You can go direct to the VSS and check its output with the tires spinning. It is basically a AC Generator and you should see 1.3 to 6.1 VAC. Then you would know for sure the sensor is bad.

Back