PDA

View Full Version : t stat and water wetter

smokymance
03-13-2003, 08:02 PM
read that somebody installed a 180tstat and a watter wetter. my question is whats a water wetter....just asking since im not familiar with it. thanks a lot. im learning new things about these cars everyday, so please dont mind my questions.

gldiii
03-13-2003, 08:17 PM
Water Wetter is a product by Red Line Oil that is a coolant additive. It is supposed to cut down on the corrosion of aluminum engine parts and also make the coolant transfer heat better which translates into cooler engine temps.

I think Summit sells it and sometimes local speed shops will carry it. Red Line products are generally fairly expensive and are used by racers. I use several of their products and the quality is very high.

Here is their website, if you want more information on Water Wetter:

http://www.redlineoil.com

Coast to Coast SC
03-13-2003, 10:03 PM
Pep Boys has been known to carry it...~$6/bottle 7 months ago.

Give it a try,
Anthony

Thomas A
03-13-2003, 11:29 PM
I got some similiar stuff from Royal Purple. Have yet to try it yet though.

Thomas

freeze408
03-13-2003, 11:43 PM
Royal Purple additive works great.down here in the south no more cooling problems.But,i also did fan mod same time.ahahah;)

smokymance
03-14-2003, 05:21 PM
my cooling/fan and all that are stock. thinking of droping the car to a 180 tstat and putting some of that in there. would it make a noticable diff?

strong6
03-14-2003, 05:29 PM
my car used to run hot, the guage would sit in the middle of the "r" and "m". i put a robert shaw 180 t-stat in and now it runs on the "n". not sure about water wetter, i never used it.
good luck
joe

Digitalchaos
03-14-2003, 05:49 PM
I found a website at one point that detailed the ingrediants in some of these water wetters. Essentially many of them consist of molecularly engineered synthetic polymer-type compounds that help with the transfer of heat. They also have other additives to reduce/prevent corrosion and electrolysis in some cases.

From memory, as I lost that website.

I think the redline and royal purple are much better than some of the cheaper brands though.. I personally used Interdynamics Motor Cool and it seemed to make things warmer overall, even if more constant.

Coast to Coast SC
03-14-2003, 05:58 PM
When I started using it my temp gauge went from the middle of the "O" to the right of the "N" when it steadys out. Not a huge change but it helped. I have since dumped the old stuff out (blew a line) and did not replace the water wetter...I'm right back up to the "O"...Got to pick some more of that stuff up on the way home. Also, it seems to work better with a watered down coolant mixture. Don't go below 15% coolant though as the H2O pump needs it for lubrication. Be careful if you are in cold weather areas...this mixture (~15% coolant) doesn't offer much freezing protection.

Anthony