Manual shifting

I hear it's really bad. Something similar to neutral drops (although not THAT bad).

You're referring to the 1 D 2 D thing right? Where you shift it into 1 to force it to stay in gear?

Umm im talking about locking overdrive out and putting the car into first gear, them manually shifting to second gear, and then finally shifting to third. The normal shift pattern

C'mon Carlos,

Didnt you say you blew yours out by doing that???

Al

PS Syphon, Carlos ha s a94 which is not equipped with the aod, where the 1 d 1 d thing is used.

Well i have no definite proof that that caused the trans to go out which is why i was trying to see what the community thought. In a moment of insanity i decided to try the manual shift on my way to irwindale. I noticed that the car shifted way harder, enough to scratch second gear while shifting. Acceleratd alot quicker too

hmm..

I don't beleive shifting 1 - 2 - 3 is bad. Dropping down into a gear, or pulling back out of drive to hold second, that i know is bad.

My '95 4.6 Cougar does the same thing. Shifts WAY harder on the 1-2 when done manually. Must be something to do with the 2 on the shifter really being 2nd (not 1st then shifting to 2nd like most cars).

Although, I've read on the TCCoA that the 1-2 accumulator on the older 4R70W's is designed with o-rings to seal it. Apparently, over time, the o-rings leak and it shifts funny from 1-2. The fix is to use the new style moulded rubber accumulator piston and the new spring.

Check out the tech articles on TCCoA under transmission. I'm planning on upgrading the accumulator in mine soon since it's cheap and only requires the pan be removed. (no f'ing with the valve body).

Regards,
Steve

I had ford rebuild my trans and replace recalled items in the trans. I love the way it shifts manually. I cant imagine how it'll be when i actually get the shift kit put in it.

You don't have to worry about your tranny at all. You have the AOD-E that you can manually shift all you like without any probs. The earlier AOD's you can only shift from 1 - D and it won't hold second unless you put it back down in 1. That is real bad because it evidentally keeps the OD engage or something like that and screws it up. I'll admit I still do it at the track though.

I have known several people in the past who shifted their auto cars manually very often. They were other cars, no SCs. It seems that if you are careful and do it under normal acceleration, the transmission is not bothered. But if you do this at all regularly under heavy acceleration, from what I have seen there is near constant trans trouble. I have never actually seen a car accelerate faster due to manually shifting, assuming the car will allow the engine near peak horsepower RPMs when it automatically shifts w/o driver intervention.

Just what I've seen..

You will feel a better accel if you shift the car at higher shift points than the computer/tranny would normally shift.

umm

Well i know for a fact that 1-2-1-d herts because i went though 4 trannys just buy a shift kit, and let it do the work! $70-$115 for a shift kit is less than paying $400 for a new tranny, trust me:)

Jerry V.

Ive seen BnM shifters that allow 1-2-3 shifts. Someone showed a picture of it on here somewhere. My transgo shift kit redlines the gears under wot.

i destroyed the trans in my old sc shifting it manually. allthough i was pushing the car very hard at the time, i was trying to drive about 1200 miles one way in the shortest amout of time (speedo pegged the whole time). i fried it going thru the mountains on the way down (was down shifting manually to pass on an up grade)but it still got me back home without any other problems.
my current sc i don't down shift all the time and when i do its sparingly.

Back