Car Stopped Runnig

Randy N Connie

My car stopped running again.I was coming home from the transmission shop
and the car buck once going about 60mph.So I pulled into a freinds drive.turned
the car off.for about 20min.tryed to start it back up but i wouldent start.let it set
for about a hour, then it started but the idle went from 500rpm to 1300 rpm.
When I gave it gas it would miss real bad,back fire in the back of the blower
with a small amount of smoke then die. I ran the codes after towing it home.
I got code .19.
check some wiring conections,looked to be good.My cam sensor has 300 miles
on it my DIS has 400 mile on it ,crank sensor 400miles,plugs, wires 425 miles.
no vacum leaks,02 sensor right side 300miles on it,IAC 300 MILES,TPS 300MILES.
All wire connection upluged cleaned pluged back 300 miles.injectors cleaned
and checked,

Any body got an clue , forgot all temp senors replaced. I do have flat motor mounts.
I have new solid rubber ones but I am allway hunting for misses havent been able
to replace them yet.

Last edited:
A rough guess says its something in your ignition.. unless the heads/gaskets went bad. You said you cleaned the plugs? When were they last changed.. and with what? Did you replace the wires at the same time? If not, <i>do so.</i> Otherwise, perhaps the ignition module is going bad..

That happend to me during the summer and it turned out to be the coil pack. mine didn't start back up though.
goodluck
joe

Digitalchaos it has the right sparks and magnacore spark plug wires.about
500 miles on them.The DIS has about 400miles on it.It do'snt have blown
head gasket.

Last edited:
19 says CID failure.. CID means cam sensor. I seriously doubt that your new cam sensor (you're ABSOLUTELY sure its brand new? You purchased it yourself and installed it yourself?) is the actual problem. Its likely the connections under the hood or at the EEC.

Check that its plugged in and seated fully and wiggle wires around at and near the DIS, cam, and crank sensors. Then check behind the 2 kick panels on the passenger side. Wiggle every wire you can find under there and unplup/replug the EEC harness back in.

Don't rule out the DIS just because it is new, it's electronic and prone to defects and failures like anything else. Troble shoot it as if you had not replace the CAM, CRANK sensor and DIS, never assume anything with electronic components.

TbirdSCFan I purchased the cam sensor from Bill E. I did not install it myself.
On and after the first miss the tach needle jumped around like the cam sensor
was going bad.Then when the motor smooth out a little before pulling over.It
had a miss just like a old motor with a burnt valve.

When I pulled over the first thing i did was to start checking the plugins
around the cam sensor,because my first thought was the cam sensor was
going bad.So after towing it home.The first thing I did was ran for codes.
I got a 15, because I have a chip installed.Then I got a code 19 No power
to the EEC processor or failure in PCM internal voltage,CID sensor input failed.

After pulling codes.I started to check all plugins from the crank sensor,cam sensor.
DIS,TPS.IAC.Then went inside of my junk sc and pushed on all plugins around the EEC.
I did not unplug any of the connectors I just did a push,pull,push on them.

I have or have had just about every sensor replaced on this SC.I am new at
piddeling with these SCs.Is it the norm to have new sensors go bad.If so it looks
like my income is not large enough to own one.This SC has cost me about $ 8.00
a mile to drive,thats not counting gas & insurance.I don't know how you guys
do it.How can you afford to drive one of these cars.If I could finish this SC it
would cost about $25,000.00 to $30,000.00 to get it where I would be happy.
If i new what I know now I could of just bought a 03 cobra.A 750HP PANTERA
is about the same price as a SC cost.

Id try a new cam sensor again bout 30 bucks at auto zone electrical parts can be bad new give it a shot might get lucky

tHANKS EVERY BODY FOR GETING BACK WITH ME.
Went to town and bought two cam sensor.Put one in,and it
runs great.since they only last about 300 miles I should be ready
for the next lay down.Since I have an extra cam sensor it probably
will never go out again.

Randy & Connie; I wouldn't get discouraged about the price of maintainance on the SC. As you're probably finding out, as things are fixed on these cars they can be incredibly reliable if properly maintained. Also, the biggest impact on cost reduction comes from the information found here at the SCCOA. The help from other members offers incredible knowledge and assistance when working with these cars. In many cases you could end up saving hundreds or even thousands of dollars. After time, your knowledge of the car will probably easily exceed most local mechanics. This helps with efficiently diagnosing the car, knowing how much labor it is to replace parts including doing it yourself, and finding the parts necessary that work well at a reasonable cost.. rather than depending on dealers or mechanics alone.

Just thought I'd share what I've found.. :)

Randy & Connie said:
tHANKS EVERY BODY FOR GETING BACK WITH ME.
Went to town and bought two cam sensor.Put one in,and it
runs great.since they only last about 300 miles I should be ready
for the next lay down.Since I have an extra cam sensor it probably
will never go out again.
Well. Glad you got it working again. The problems you describe are not normal at least not that many problems in such a short time. Maybe, just maybe, you're in for a string of good driving for a change.

This is somethig you need to do.. Never ever let the car hear you utter the words "Its f*xed".. don't say it around the car, don't say it to anyone you know.. your car is inhabited by gremlins.. they are dastardly little things who have a limited understanding of English.. If you say "The car is in a currently nominal operational condition", they will not understand and continue to take their naps. I maintain a pinball machine which likewise houses about 2 or 3 of the little devils.. I NEVER EVER say the "f" word around it and so far, its worked great for the last 2 months. :D ;) :D

Back