Not turning or polishing crank?

91BLOWNSC

Is their any harm or bad things that could come from not turning or having my crank turned or polished? It looks in undoubtably excellent shape (as did the rest of my engine) and I was considering putting it back together tonight. What are your thoughts?

i don't think i would do that, you would have to use the old bearings and make sure they go in the same spot they came from.
this could be a chance you may not want to take.
good luck
joe

Looks

can be decieving. Do you have a micrometer to check for run out or egg ing. For the 80 bucks it costs to turn and put a good chamfer on it think about the quadzillion times it will have to turn somemore until the next rebuild.

Better save the few bucks somewhere it wont cost you 1000 and 25 hours labour to get at.

I wouldnt it might look good to the naked eye but under the mic it could be a whole diffrent story and anyways its the prevenitve (this one nessasary) investments which are always the smartestthink about a spun bearing it not a pretty thought

Did you spin the bearings? If not, and the crank journals aren't visibly scored, you can polish them with sand paper (up to 200) and plastigage them (I'd do all of them) to measure the gap. If it falls within spec, then you should be fine. It would be good to mic them at 30 degree intervals around each journal to see how egg-shaped each one is.

no...

I didnt' spin a bearing and there not visibly scored. The crank looks remarkable. But were having it sanded tomorrow. We obviously do not need it turned. I think there doing it with 600 grit sand paper or something. But Im not for sure. Does that sound right?

Back