Confused

motocross_masta

Ok, from what I know there's something called "cats" in the exhaust? I'm confused, i've seen a couple people on here and there mod list says,"removed cats." Now, one of my friends has an F-150 and he removed all four of his cats from his truck and sold them. His truck is loud as h**l. But, what i'm wondering is, how many "cats" are in an '90 SC and will that make a power/sound difference if i remove them? (If i can?)

"Cats" is short for catalytic converters. You have two right after the manifolds. It will be louder if you take them off, but the stock downtube/cat setup is pretty restrictive.

Adding to what Kevin stated, the 'cats' also aid in emissions. If you live in a state that tests smog, etc, you will want to keep the cats on there. The more technical aspect of the cats is they aid in the burning of fuel air mixture that is not totally consumed in the combustion chamber. Best suggestion is to get high flow cats if you need to keep them. If not, you can remove them, but initially you'd be better off removing the resonator. It is much more restrictive. (My personal suggestion, along with many others is to get new exhaust from your manifolds back.) Do some searches on exhaust and you will find more than you asked for about it. I think that there is everything possible on this site. Look around a bit and see what you think you will like. Then save your $$. It'll cost you (local shop) $400 or more to get a good setup.

Back