another clutch question

hockeydad2

i'am still working on my project 90 5 speed sc. i've ordered a luk clutch kit from clutches.com (hope to have it by next weekend) that was suggested from an earlier post.
my current question is, after driving about 45 minutes to an hour in normal city driving, it seems to "chatter" a little when starting off in first gear, no real problems in other gears. after the hour or so of driving i was coming home and after stopping, it was almost impossible to get it in any gear from a stop. i could kinda feel a virbration in the drive line thru the shifter,when trying to put it in gear. is this a clutch problem or a hydraulic problem? if hydraulic, will bleeding it help? thanks bob. i'am new to hydraulic clutches and problems with them. i'am an old 57 ford guy.

Deja vu or what, this has been my personal experience with Luk clutches and I would NEVER have one in my car again. Mine lasted a whole 67,000km's(about 40k miles) and it is completely worn down to the rivets on both sides.

It did exactly what yours is doing after the first 5000ms, she gets hot it starts to shudder out of first gear, it went away around 7-10,000kms, came back around 20,000kms and never went away.

Did you replace the pilot bearing and throw out bearing? Not going into any gear almost sounds like the input shaft is still turning and not completely disengaging. I never had that problem, just the shuddering crap. Maybe there is some air in it and the slave is not moving far enough to disengage, you could try bleeding the system again.

WHat I noticed immediately when the stock clutch came out, which was also a Luk is that the replacements clutch disk was at least 1/2 narrower in width of the friction material than the stock Luk. I wlays thought this was fishy an dmine proved out to be a POS.

Center Force Dual Friction is going in right now as we speak.

les borda,
the clutch problems i'am having are on a 90 sc with 228,000 mile i bought as a project. i don't know the manufacturer of the clutch that's in the car. i've read the posts about luk vs centerforce. for what it is worth, the guy i spoke with from "dial a clutch.com" said that luk is a manufacturer and supplied ford orginally? he also said that centerforce is a "rebuilder" and buys from luk and modifies them more for performance engines. they have more holding power and about 60% of the life compared to the luk? he recommended a centerforce for an engine with "lots of mods" and the luk for a "stock" engine? i guess i'll find out. thanks, bob

les borda,
one more thing, did you resurface the flywheel? i'am planning on doing that. also could you please email me or post on this (zaldain@aol.com) the thickness of the centerfore clutch disc, and which one you have, i think there is a I, II, and a dual friction. thanks, bob

Sorry Bob the clutch was installed yesterday along with my 5 speed rebuild. I did not measure it before it went in. Yes the flywheel was machined at that time and it was virtually new in terms of overall wear. It was machined again yesterday and still is well within Ford spec for minimum thickness.

This clutch is a Center Force II Dual Friction. I like the feel of it, it is not a leg breaker at all when using the clutch, it's very nice to drive.

Yes Luk is the manufacturer for the Ford original clutch. My original Luk lasted 125,000kms, unlike the replacement that lasted half that time. Also Luk builds the mouting exterior casing for the Centre Force clutch but the internals are Center Force. There;s only so many manufacturers for building the casing.

Back