door sits about 1/8 in to low after hinge pin r/r

pdennis93

i tried adjusting it a few times and i got it close, but i think maybe it still is out of adjustment because i was simply having a few people help me lift the door and then tighten it, should i loosen all the bolts again, put the door on a jack, and use the jack to lift the door and then retighten?

oh i also meant it sits low in the front, not the back.

Last edited:
shove a towel(or cardboard) between the fender and door and place a floor jack(not bottle or OEM car jack) near the front of the door with a block of wood between the two. Loosen the 4 bolts a few turns and lift the jack (SLIGHTLY), then wiggle the door back and forth to keep it from seizing/sticking on the hinge, keep doing this till the door is at the top of the adjustment, then center the hinge with the old"wear" marks from the bolt heads. Close the door slowly and go from there, the last adjustment should be the striker itself.

If its still low add shims under the bottom hinge, about a 1/16" thick shim should bring it up about an eigth at the back

k thanks for the info, i now need to find someone with a floor jack to help me align the door with the front fender.

and i already have plenty of tooth pics and touchup paint for a few spots due to the bad hinge and to a few small chips caused by doing the hinges,

and the drivers side doesnt sag for now, but i m guessing it will need them soon since the door can be picked up slighty

you can use the OEM jack and be really careful(use something in between that wont slip, thats the only problem), might actually be safer than a hydraulic jack since you can feel how much pressure is being applied.

yeah i used the oem jack with a towel between it and put it on the flat part of the bottom of the door, and i think i almost had it, but i think i should have loosened the bolts before raising the door
i tried raising te door then loosening the bolts and it didnt really go up at all, im convinced i just have it slightly too low i just gotta have some daylight to get it right i think

Just finished installing new door pin

I took about 40 pictures during the hing pin replacement on my 94 SC. Luckly I have to repaint the car so I was able to chip the paint by mistake and not have to worry. I had to loosen the upper and lower bracket from the body to allow proper alignment front and back. The bad lower hinge caused the front to be off after installing the new hing pin and bushing. You will need two people to do the door alignment. One person inside and one outside. I used wood shims on the front between the body side molding and door and a floor jack with polyurethane pad on the rear. The best way is to close the door but not latched. i used a 5 inch piece of wood and the floor jack to pry the rear of the door up about 1/4" higher than needed. Tighten the inside nuts and drop the floor jack check the door height. I spent several hours before I found the easy way to do it. E-mail me if you need help I have plenty of pictures.

i think i got it very close the other night, the door looks right, it still sags slightly when it initially pops open, but its not due to the hinges cause theres no play in the door

unfortunately i did put a small dent on the lower door sil jacking it up and a few chips in some relitavely (1 year old) new paint :( but it doesnt look bad with touch up

and damnit all if i didnt find some slight bubbles on my rear fender the other night, looks like im gonna be repainting that area again eventually.

Back