Good Factory IC Search (GN any good?)

DMX

I've been searching for a little while now for a good factory intercooler. Rather than spend several hundred on an aftermarket unit, I thought i'd at least try a <=250 factory Intercooler off ebay.

What do you think of the Volvo IC? The Grand national IC? Even the Conquest/Starion IC?

I am leaning towards the Volvo because of its sheer size, and (relatively?) small 1.2 PSI pressure drop. Data is scarce on the GN and Conquest IC, but thier front mount positioning makes them a candidate.

I've also been eyeing Supra ICs.

Does anyone have any input on this? Remember, *cheap* is the keyword :)

I'd also heard to stay away from Volvos. I wonder how difficult it would be to take one of the huge Powerstroke ICs and get it cut down and have custom ends put on it? You have to figure, even if it was $400 or $500 when all was said and done, if that made for a decent front mount, it would be a worthwhile investment.

Paul

The powerstokre IC is HUGE< the endtanks are really small, and I doubt they could be shaved down, if you see one, they are kionda triangular end tanks, almost nothing at the top and bottom and then flare out in the center for the inlet/outlet tube. I thought about this IC as well, the core is the size limit on my stang, it would have fit without the endtanks, if I want it to fit I need to delete my bumper :(

Its a sweet IC though. May work onthe SC's though, I am not sure the measuerments of the front framing on the SC.

power stroke

I was thinking of doing something with a stroker. I have one. If you cut the caps off so you can fab your own caps. It would be tight but is possible. You wouldn't be able to us the factory air box and probably a small battery of move to the trunk. I will do something cuz I think it will work.

Back in the day...

(I was told) the old Conquest/Starion guys used to use the intercooler out of Mitsu./Fuso trucks as a cheap upgrade. It may be worth looking into. I don't remember which truck exactly but I do remember it working quite well.

Anthony

Back