Low speed fan problem?

Digitalchaos

I've noticed when running my engine the temp gauge gets all the way to the end of NORM before the fan engauges. Also, when I activate the A/C (which I do not know is functional) the fan does not activate. When the fan finally does come on, it happens for a very short time and cools down very quickly, back to between R & M. So I wonder, is it possible only the low speed is not working? And what might cause this?

Any help appreciated, its going for maintainance tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated, as I'm taking this in today!

Should I delay the coolant flush if this fan in fact has a low speed problem?

Maybe a bad connection at the POS+ post at the stater relay(the ICRM positive side starts there). Or a weak ground at the battery. Just a guess.

I'll take a look at that, thanks. Would a lose + @ the relay also cause other behavior, like lack of A/C compressor function?

And also, would the High speed still work if the + was lose or the ICRM itself was bad?

Thanks again.

Corroded connection would or better could but a loose connect would n't supply consistent voltage with probably no voltage at times.

Your temps would soar unless your doing 70 mph

The ICRM controls low and high speed fan operation. It is possible that the low speed relay is fried but unless you know the pinouts at the relay to test it.....I dont know if one goes bad they all go bad. I do think the A/C is also controlled by the ICRM but again not sure(at work right now and I don't have my manual).

Maybe if your close to a salvage yard, the U Pick-a-Part type, maybe you can find one cheap and go from there....

Disconnect the fan's plug and jump the fan from the battery. black is - run the + to the others one at a time the fan should run. One low one high. If the fan is ok then U need to check the Relay.
The relay is located infront of the air filter box.
Ground #14 the fan will run in low speed. Ground #14 and #17 the high speed fan will run.

Back