won't start

Ronald Wendt

My bird seems to have an intemittent starting problem. I kept thinking it was the battery so I bought a new one some time ago. Last week it would not turn over, but the battery was fine and I could hear the solenoid clicking. So I bought a new starter, the old one was missing teeth, and put the new one in.

It would not start with the new starter, so I put my charger on it in the start posiiton and it started right up. It started at least a dozen times over the weekend. This morning I go out there and nothing.

So I figure it must be the starter solenoid, or maybe the switch or whatever that the clutch pedal engages to allow you to start? Anything else?

Any help will be most appreciated

Ron

Ron, just recently an owner had a shock control relay stick and drain his battery. I would suggest an electrical test and see if anything is drawing too much amperage from the battery at rest. there should not be more than a few amps draw from like the radio memory and such.

Hope this helps.

I had a similar problem, the problem was the switch at the door which controls the light inside the car, once you open the door. He applied WD40 and it went away, it was becuase of rust.
Try the WD40 on those switches.

Make sure all the connections are clean. This includes the connections at the battery, starter and solenoid. Check to make sure your battery cables are good, (they corrode over time).
Did you buy a new starter or a rebuilt?
I have had many problems with rebuilt starters. (I would put them in, and they barely turned the engine over, then put in a new starter and the engine would really crank over).
I have learned my lesson and will buy only new starters.

same thing happened to me....replaced the starter sylenoid, and tested the battery..heres what went wrong.....the motor for the power passenger seat.....yep...it shorted and drained me out..

I have a new negative battery cable, new Autozone Gold battery, and a new starter. I will check to see if the battery is charged up or not tonight. It was fine when I checked last week which made me suspect the starter itself

How would you check if anything is being stuck on and draining the battery?

I mentioned the clutch peddle thing because it seemed sometimes when I first tried to start it nothing happened but if I pushed the clutch back in again it started right up. Anyone have this thing go bad or out of adjustment? I have no idea what it looks like really.

Ron

did you check the charge on your old battery....i'd hate for you to have to learn a 60 or 70 doller lesson and buy a new battery..cuz i almost did the same...but it ended up bieng the motor stuck..

unfortunately unless you have electronical diagnostic tools....i'm not sure what computer things you need...you need a technician to hook it up to figure out the problem.. :(

Ron: That thing you're talking about when you push the clutch in is called the Neutral Safty Switch, and I have seen problems with it, and the guy had to move his seat forward to get enough pressure on it to get the car to start. It turned out that his fire wall was flexing to much to engage it. He ended up needing a piece of metal welded in to stop the flexing. This mostly happens on cars that have had AOD to 5 speed swaps though and he didn't even get a click from the silinoid. 1 other possible is the ignition switch itself if you don't get a click from the engine. Ford swapped mine for free under a recall. Good luck

Last edited:
Back