PDA

View Full Version : Hard to start when warm

92SCDoughboy
03-17-2003, 04:35 PM
Sometimes when my engine is warm, I have a hard time starting the car. I'll start it, and the engine catches, but just barely. Then it sits there trying to catch at less then half an RPM. So I shut it off try again, sometimes i can get i t the second time, but other times i will have to wait a while.

Someone told me to try to change the CAM sensor, anything else I should look into.

It doesn;t happen all the time, but it worries me when its warm and I have to start it, not knowing if its going to work!

LJGriggs
03-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Could be the Cam Sensor. It will cause some flaky things to come and go. Another thing to try is putting a fresh coating of Heat-Sink compound (not Dielectric Grease) under the DIS. The DIS dissipates heat thru the mounting surface on the accesory bracket. Without proper contact provided by the heatsink compound, the DIS can overheat. This will also cause some erratic behavior and eventually fry the DIS. Go to RadioShack and look around where the transistors, circuit boards, etc. are located. It comes in a little tube.

If that doesn't clear it up, swap the Cam Sensor......

92SCDoughboy
03-17-2003, 08:05 PM
yeha i already used the dei-electric grease, so I'll swap out the cam sensor this week thx

someone also said in another post it may be something to do with the winter gas, and the additives they put in, i think my problem started in the winter

KarDoktor
03-17-2003, 09:18 PM
I supect a leaky injecter that allown fule to drip into the engine after shut down. Try some injecter cleaner.

vancouverBC
03-17-2003, 09:51 PM
You have to remove the die-electric grease and replace it with heat sink compound from Radio Shack, its only about $2.00 for a tube. Do this and try the injector cleaner, before you do the cam sensor. Good luck

Les Borda
03-18-2003, 09:24 AM
Please read this post through, it may explain some things that seem to come up each every spring when the weather gets warmer.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=19926