Oil pressure drop!!!!

1BADSC

Ok while driving my 1995 SC auto, my oil pressure stays around the M of NORM. BUt the past couple of days when I come to a stop and sit at an idle sometimes the gauge will drop and start to flicker and it will drop below the N of NORM, and sometimes it will even go real low and then my check guage light comes on. And twice the idle dropped lower than 500 rpm and stalled. I have no idea what might be causing this. Any ideas.

When it falls that low, does the engine feel like it wants to die, or feels completely under powered???

I hate to tell you this but if you recently blew head gaskets got water in the engine or revved the car to 5500 plus, you might have spun a bearing.

Pray that its only a sender unit!

Just read the part where your idle drops...you spun a bearing!

Al

Doesn't feel like that. It is almost like the tranny can't down shift fast enough into first if I come to a real quick stop, and it makes the car shudder for a sec. And when I am sitting at a light it just seems to idle to low. If I put my foot on the gas and bring it to around 600-700 RPMs it idles like a champ. I just got the car about a month ago and as far as i know it never blew the HG's. And it only has 64,000 miles on it. I think the problem might just be an idle that is too low. What do you think. Still thinking bearing.

Shift it into neutral when you are coming to a stop and see what it does. BUT if the oil pressure gauge never moves until after u drive the car for a while or get on it hard and you are saying it goes all the way to n or below and all the rest of the gauges are fine, then I'm thinking you might have spun a bearing.

Al

Ah...before you go on a wild goose chase how about changing your oil pressure sender. It is nothing but a switch....above 7 PSI it should be closed...below 5 PSI Open...there is NOTHING in between. If the switch contacts have corrosion on them you may get varying readings......but the guage is nothing but a fancy idot light.

Only does it sometimes, not all of the time. And it only does it for a sec and then goes back to normal. And sometimes it will just go back and forth for a sec then read normal. I will check the sending unit.

There is nothing to check on the sender unless you count the electrical connector attached to it. Just replace it.

That is what I meant. Hey do you know my neighbor, his name is Morgan. He has a red 92 and a silver 93 SC. I think he met you at a car show or something up near beaver.

Holy crap my work (autozone) has the oild sending unit for $5.99. Guess I will change that and see how it goes.

Not sure what it was. But it stalled on me three times. I just hated the car overall. I think it was crap compared to my 89. I didn't want to spend a ton of money to fix whatever was wrong with it and dump all that money into a car that isn't worth anything as of now. Had it been the 89 then I would have kept it but I just hated it overall. And i think a rod was starting to knock with only 64,000 miles on it.

Back