Car running hot

Phantom Menace

Yesterday I noticed twice, that when I moved my car in the driveway the radiator fan continued to run for about 10 seconds even after I shut the engine off. Today, when I drove it on the street, my temp gauge went up to 210 and when I stopped the car and looked under the hood with the engine still running the fan wasn't. Any suggestions?

The car is a '90 with a Ford Racing temp gauge on the A pillar. I don't know where the temp sensor is, and I don't know if it matters, but I removed the VMM. Where is the temp sensor and how do I check to see if it is working correctly?

Unless you have modified the settings in the ecu; I believe your low speed fan is set to activate at 220 degrees. The highspeed engauges at something like 228.

Phantom Menace said:
Yesterday I noticed twice, that when I moved my car in the driveway the radiator fan continued to run for about 10 seconds even after I shut the engine off.
This means that one of the fan relays is sticking. Next time, try tapping on the black box with the wires coming out of it in front of the air cleaner. Thats the IRCM and has both high and lw speed relays. If it gets to be a chronic problem, you'll have to replace the IRCM which are rather pricey for what they do. Look for a used one.

Thanks for all the good info. I gave the big black module in front of the air filter a few love taps today. Also knowing that the fan doesn't even come on until 220 degrees is deffinately a help. Also, I turned on the AC and the fan came right on, so I figure it just didn't get hot enough before. Is there any way to get the fan to come on at a cooler temperature, say180 or 190? Or don't I want it to come on that soon.

Back