My '92 has a strange rattle

LJGriggs

I hear a rattle/bumping sound from the front end when I drive over uneven pavement. My first thought was suspension related, but I'm not sure. I don't get the usual popping, or clunking that would point to balljoints or bushings, and I have put the car on jackstands and inspected the suspension. I'm sure the car could use some new bushings, but I didn't detect any play or excess wear.
I am beginning to think it may be coming from the exhaust system. It sounds like it is coming from under the floorboard. I installed solid engine mounts a couple of months ago, and now I'm wondering if the mounts have lifted the engine to a point that the catalytic converters are making contact with something underneath. I didn't check that when I was under the car, so I don't know if there are clearance issues or not. Does this seem likely?

Two weak points...

Strut rod bushings wear out over time and rattle at the frame and the lower control arm...cheap fix (but requires alignment after repair). The sway bar endlinks can cause a real strange rattle as well and are a cheap and easy fix too. I thought mine were bad but could not find it in the traditional wiggle tests. I had to unhook the links from the sway bar to find the play. Did you change these when you lowered the car???

Anthony

I changed the rear swaybar links, but not the front. I do have a set of endlink bushings for the fronts in my garage, so I can replace them this weekend.
It's been a week or so since I took something apart on the old bird, so I guess it's time. Maybe I'll just go ahead and replace the upper & lower control arms while I'm at it. Gonna need it soon enough anyway.

Question?

I think the endlinks are supposed to be different (shorter) when you lower the car to keep the bar at the right angle. Also, unless the 92 front endlinks are different than the 93s, there are no replaceable bushings. The bar bushings (mount to the chasis) can be replaced but not the endlinks. Correct me if I'm wrong here, please. With as many miles as on your car, I think it would be wise to just go ahead and replace them all (str. rod-both ends and the sway bar endlinks as well) as a little reward to your baby. :D

Anthony

Back