double roller timing chain

Slysc

Is there a cross over application of a timing chain that works on an SC? If I want a double roller timing chain will I have to get one specifically made for the 3.8? ($$!!) There's got to be something that fits. 5.0? 351W? Harley Sportster? Does anyone know?

timing chain

Yea, I see Morana sells one. I can't believe that he manufactures it himself, he's got to be getting it from another application.

Yet, I may be wrong, he may be making it himself, the price seems to reflect that.

No, I think it is made from another application and the chain is just shortened. I believe that blackbirdsc (Steve Webb) mentioned that application a while back.

Update: Found the post from 4/18/01 in my archives!

Back when I was searching for parts for my new motor, I called Cloyes about the roller chain they show for the Ford V6. They transfered me to one of the design tech (I called from the engine shop not as a regular customer) He flat out told me it won't fit, it was made for the SVO 4.5L V6 and they'd tried it on a 3.8 and it didn't work. He said the 3.8 used deeper spacers or something and it didn't line up at all. I'm using a double row, true roller from Morana. From what I can see, he takes a setup from a 302 or 351W, cuts the chain shorter, remarks the crank gear and machines a new aluminum spacer for the cam gear. It's adjustable, +4 -4 or straight up. I just got my short block assembled this past weekend. The cam degree'd in +/- 1 degree from the card, so it's dead on. My films getting developed now, so I should have some pics to post next week. Steve

Morana also makes a non adjustable one as well.

timing chain

Looks like an operation that I'm not real comfortable with. I guess I'll leave it up to the experts.

So my choice is to fork out the bucks or just go with the stock timing chain.

What kind of advantage is there to the double roller timing chain? What are the limitations of the factory piece?

One major advantage is the +4. -4 straight up gear. My first regrind went in straight up, the second one needed the +4 advance to be right. Otherwise my powerband would have gone up considerably. If you're not going with a big regrind, it won't be that much of a deal and straight up would be fine.

A double roller chain won't stretch or wear out.... ever. The stock link type chain will wear and stretch over time. As it stretches, it retards the cam timing which is not really a good thing.

timing chain

I've got a .520" lift regrind.
My stock chain has 120K miles on it.
If I degree my cam and find that I need to advance it, then I should buy the adjustable chain/gear set. But if I find that my cam is right on, I could just go with a new stock chain, right?

If it's significant, I will spend the money but my engine project is way over budget and if I don't have to spend the money, I'd rather not.

Dan,

I had a chance to examine the Morana timing chain yesterday. As George and Steve mentioned the chain has been shortned, but it also looks like Tom makes his own hub for the cam sprocket. The sprocket actually bolts onto an aluminum hub that is made wide enough that it doesn't use the stock spacer.

It's a nice part and probably worth the cost if you need to advance the cam. Mine wasn't degreed, and I am using a stock chain and tensioner.

David

Back