Manifold Porting

89psychobird

I plan on porting my exhaust manifolds this weekend but have a few questions. I wanted to do them without taking them off, but read that I should take them off instead. OK.

How hard is it to take them off? Are there gaskets to replace when I reistall them?

It is going to be a major pain, but when is working on this car ever easy. It is pretty basic on how to do it, undue exhaust, take off bolts, remove manifold, grind away, put back on with gasket, and drive away. Getting to most of the bolts is going to be the trouble, patience.

If the manifolds have never been off you will not find a gasket, factory doesn't use them because of virtually perfect machined parts. After heat gets to them they warp a little that necessitates(is that a word?)) a gasket. Always use a new gasket though and I would put some orange silicon on it too to make sure it goes on nice and tight so you don't have to do it again.

Uh, oops. I just put the gasket back on last night. I though you could re-use those soft metal Felpro gaskets?

BTW, Aaron - good to see you on the board again, been a while.

as long as the gasket is still in good shape it should be fine but most of the time they tear apart when you take them off the head. Ya, nice to be on the board again Rob, how's No-Cal? Al packed up his shop and gave up the biz. He is living out in Placerville with a he!! of a place and setup out there. I still talk to him pretty regular and will be coming up in May sometime to visit.

Back