I need advice on an after market blower pulley.

giddyup306

Which ones are the best? How much are they? Any links? How much hp/tq do you gain from one. I was thinking that this would be a great mod with some major bang for the buck. Also are there any downsides to running them. Any info will be appreciated.

FYI I have an 89 SC.

Tks

Mike

Thanks for the info. Do you think that removing the cats or installing flowmasters would be free flowing enough?

Thanks

MIke

The main thing is the resonator at the Y pipe behind the cat's. Minimum. I haven't done anything with my exhaust manifold, but that's another place mentioned a lot. Do the exhaust work before anything else, especially the pulley. You might want to get a new MAF before the pulley too, since yours is the 55mm one but that's just my opinion. Don't rush yourself, you may pay for it later.

get an ESM....they are cheaper, solid aluminum and weigh 60% less than the stock one...plus they are polished to a show shine. Cost me $62 total and that included shipping. Very happy with it. They make 5% and a 10%. I got a 5% so i would have no detonation problems. Very happy.

fastsc92 said:
get an ESM....they are cheaper, solid aluminum and weigh 60% less than the stock one...plus they are polished to a show shine. Cost me $62 total and that included shipping. Very happy with it. They make 5% and a 10%. I got a 5% so i would have no detonation problems. Very happy.

You have me interested in the ESM pulleys. Do you have a link? I didn't think I'd get detonation with the 10% pulley b/c of the aluminum heads w the intercooler. I ran a mustang with 11:1 (I know the SC runs much higher at WOT but the IC makes up for this) compression and nothing but aluminum heads and 93 octaine premium.

JAFO said:
The main thing is the resonator at the Y pipe behind the cat's. Minimum. I haven't done anything with my exhaust manifold, but that's another place mentioned a lot. Do the exhaust work before anything else, especially the pulley. You might want to get a new MAF before the pulley too, since yours is the 55mm one but that's just my opinion. Don't rush yourself, you may pay for it later.

I was thinking of getting rid of the whole Y assembly and going with true dual exhaust.

To run duals on an 89 will require a newer gas tank. Just run a single 3", it's all you really need.

I would also go with the ESM pulley. It is soooo much lighter then the other ones that I have seen on the market. I wouldn't exactly call the finish "show quality" however.

Thomas

The ESM site is www.EmbreeMachine.com and the pulleys are presently on sale. The finish is "machined" and a light polishing will bring the pulley in the opinion of many of our clients, a "show quality" finish. Of course show quality is a relative term and has a different meaning from one person to the next.

Back