5 speed shifter, newbie..

DGernmann

Alright guys, I have a 94 SC 5 spd. I have been driving stick now for about 2 months... This is my problem.

When I am at a light and decide to do a little street race, I pull away by 2 to 3 car lenghts off the line when I shift into 3rd thats when its all downhil...they then catch up to me..

heres how I shift:
I let first go to about 4500-5000 rpms then shift into second and do the same to 2cd, but then 3rd is like blah....Should I shift into 3rd sooner?? It seems like 3rd has no get go..I think I shift into 3rd around 60 mph in this case.

Thanks for the input.

The 94-95 5-speeds have very aggressive 1st and 2nd gears so that is what you are experiencing. If you have the stock rear end you might want to consider a rear gear change to a different ratio like 3:27. My advice on a 94-95 5-speed is to stay away from anything like 3:55 or higher because of the aggressive first two gears. Too steep and wheel spin galore and actually slower 1/4 mile times.

My 95 5-speed has the same problem. 3rd gear covers a rather large portion of the speedo with the stock rear gear. You will feel a big difference in the "Seat of the Pants" with a gear change.

Bob

Max HP is at about 4200-4300, max Torque is about 2600. I'd look at maximizing your shifts so that when you hit third you are closer to the good HP range.

HP is fairly level from 3700 to just past the peak at 4400.

That's all on my 89. I'm not sure how the 94 is different.

I'm not real sure what you mean by "aggressive". There is less of a spread in the later transmission gearing than the early model trans. I would say the the problem would be elsewhere. Maybe something like a plugged fuel filter or weak pump. Since you have more torque mutliplication in the lower gears it might be marginal for the first 2 gears and by the time you hit 3rd it might not be able to pull the gear. Just a guess, but it would be worse in an early car than a late one if it was the gear spread.

89-93 SC
1st 3.72
2nd 2.32
3rd 1.43
4th 1.00
5th .75

94-95 SC
1st 3.42
2nd 2.16
3rd 1.34
4th 1.00
5th .75