Upper control arm, rear

hamalka

Hi

I have vibration problem with rear wheels.

Some time ago the bushings for rear, upper control armer (inner side, around inner control arm-to-sub-frame bolt) were changed by the Ford service. Are these inner side bushings non-symmetric (=left side different from right side bushings) or is it installation that they must be installed differently on left and right side? Now these bushings are installed non-symmetric: right side is installed differently than the right side which means that right side is installed more forward than left side. Ford service says that this is OK and correct. Could this kind of installation of upper control arm bushings cause vibrations of rear end of the car?

Best regards
Kai Hamalainen
kai.hamalainen@ailocom.com

Not sure if they can but you may want to check out your wheel bearings (usually causes a swaying at speed), or your IRS Diff bushings ( that would usually have a clunk with it too). I know if the balance of your tires would cause a vibration. Just some other things to look at.

Replacement Ford inner bushings for the rear upper control arms are an eccentric style, to provide extra camber adjustment ... so the left and right side may look different once they have done an alignment on the car.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

I have done all the basic things to prevent vibration: tire presure, ballance, ... Also bearings have been checked. Tires has been rotated, changed for new type.

It's good to know that right and left side of upper control arm bushings (inner pivot bussings) can look different after allignment. So, it cannot be the reason for vibration.

Vibration starts after 70 m/h (120 km/h). I found out vibration after change of upper control arm inner bushings. Because left side bushing looks now different than the right side (non symmetric) I thougth that the problem could be there.

Kai

Back