hey i got a question

blue

hey i have a 95 XR7 cougar and i want to put a SC motor in it, how hard will this be and what else do i have to change.

dave

From what i heard you would have to change out a lot but its possible. Almost everything on these cars are specific to the supercharged v6 cougars and t-birds. I would just buy or trade for a 89-90 xr7 or the t-bird sc.
Oh yeah the xr7s that arent supercharged are all v8s (302s) except for the new ones with the little ricey motors in it.

Last edited:
I believe a 3.8 XR7 was available in '93.

silversc90 said:
From what i heard you would have to change out a lot but its possible. Almost everything on these cars are specific to the supercharged v6 cougars and t-birds. I would just buy or trade for a 89-90 xr7 or the t-bird sc.
Oh yeah the xr7s that arent supercharged are all v8s (302s) except for the new ones with the little ricey motors in it.

well this is what i got started a 91 SC motor and tranny wth computer and wiring harness, and SC rear end. do i need ne thng else

You will need the radiator and IC from the SC. Make sure you get the IRCM module and the cooling fan. You may need other things, but that will get you started.

As for the rearend, I think you will need SC halfshafts as well. The hubs should be the same.

You'll also need the trans...

I'm pretty sure you'll need a AOD transmission or M5r2 if you want to do a 5-speed swap. I don't think that the stock 3.8L trans is up to the task.

89-90 XR7's had supercharged 3.8L V6's.
91-93 XR7's were either 3.8L V6's (N/A) or 5.0L V8's.
All 94-97 Cougars were called XR7's I believe. They came with either 3.8L V6's or 4.6L V8's.

Back