PDA

View Full Version : Priming New Engine

mikesc
03-19-2003, 09:10 PM
My new motor is almost complete and will ship this friday or next monday. Any ideas or tips as to priming it with oil. It is going to be shipped w/o oil and once I get it all back together I would like to move some oil around the engine before actually starting it up. Any ideas?

Thanks,

M

ekesz13
03-19-2003, 09:41 PM
This thread might be of help.

http://forums.sccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19986

TbirdSCFan
03-19-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by mikesc
My new motor is almost complete and will ship this friday or next monday. Any ideas or tips as to priming it with oil. It is going to be shipped w/o oil and once I get it all back together I would like to move some oil around the engine before actually starting it up. Any ideas?

Thanks,

M Since you'll have the engine on a stand, just unbolt the oil pump, fill it with oil and bolt it back on again. Now, assuming that a builder has enough sense to lube the bearings with STP before bolting it together, then you should have plenty of cranking time before you have any worries. Or, use the drill method as the aforementioned thread alludes to.

TbirdSCFan
03-19-2003, 10:58 PM
Oh, and if its a short block (you mentioned that is was shipped w/o oil), I'd go ahead and pull at least one of the rod caps and crank caps and be SURE theres a sticky layer of thick oil such as STP on the bearings. If they're dry, pull every single one and oil it up with STP. Then hand turn it a few times.. You don't really want to wait for the pump to have to push oil that far around.

mikesc
03-20-2003, 08:14 AM
I thank you guys for the info. I'm sure the engine builder (T.Morana) used the necessary lube during assembly. I know I should have been able to figure this out, but I've been waiting for this motor for two months now and somtimes my poor ol' brain goes into overload thinking of what I need to do next.

Thanks again......

M

BlackbirdSC
03-20-2003, 03:33 PM
I think I was able to use a oil pump drive rod from a 460, tapped it to a 5/16"-1/4" drive socket and extension then ran it off a 1/2" drill. It's a bit of a pain getting the rod back out, but it worked.

Later,
Steve