magnum powers raised top induction

Douglas Walker

I found a replacement for the air intake cap on top of the supercharger. its double the size of the factory. I was wondering what the performance and boost increases would be.

check attach for pics

Thanks

Attachments

• top_b.jpg
    top_b.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 380
Thats been around for very long time...

I first installed the MP top in 1997 or 98 or something like that. I installed it with a 5% OD pulley and never really got the chance to experience the initial power increase from that part alone.

I do have to say that the performance did increase over stock and a lot of people rave about MP's top as well as ESM's top. Both are great parts, ESM is cheaper, but MP has pointed out areas of comparason that claim to improve over ESM.

I own the original casting as well as the new one and I must say it is a premium part and made very, very well.

www.magnumpowers.com has a detailed writeup on the part as well as other very very very nice toys.

In my opinion, a pulley, top, bigger throttle body and Magnum Powers inlet plenum is a great place to start if you have the cash.

But a pulley and the top will give you a nice, noticable performance gain.

However, the cardinal rule with SC's as far as my experience goes is UNCORK THE EXHAUST first and then get to the engine.

Dont go nuts with the exhaust, but happy gains are made with nice exhaust mods that dont break the bank and bolt on parts.

Doug,

Welcome to the board. Yes, the MP top is an awesome piece of equipment! What part of Nebraska are you from? I live near Lincoln. Drop me a line at my e-mail address below. Also, be sure to check out the local Thunderbird/Cougar club. The website is below. Be sure and send them an e-mail if you interested! Hope to hear from you!

Thomas

Nebraska ThunderCats

I've read a few times about raised tops hitting the hood. Is that just on cars in need of motor mounts, or just on some raised tops? Any problems with the MP one? Thinking about doing a top and IC fan together, but I like my hood nice and flat. ;)

Last edited:
Bill the MP and most ESM tops will just fit under the hood, even with solid rubber mounts that sit a little higher. ESM used to make tops in different hieghts and they may still do so, their tallest one need all the room it could get. I remember some removing the underhood insulation to make it fit. I have one of each and would recommend the MP unit.

Vernon

sc top

Id say the top would have a better chance of hittin the hood with a fresh set of motor mounts. But i havent heard anyone really complaining about a problem with them.

That's reassuring to hear. I figured that if you had a bad mount, the engine torquing itself upwards would make it hit if it was close.

interesting

are the raised tops really that good? the one person i talked to about them, he said he got it when it first came out, paid about 500 bucks... and dynoed his car with it and saw only a 2 hp increase... interesting
Damon

I think the real benifit comes from the fact that it 1) Flows more air 2) eases the stress and temp of the SC air charge. most of the gains come in a combo of the rear inlet plenum, TB, MAF combined with the new Top, larger intercooler helps as well.

As far as dyno results go I'm not sure it did all that much horsepower wise but I do know it got me another 20-30ft.lbs of torque, I went from 325 to 358, also another 5mph top end through the traps at the track.

are the raised tops really that good?

Yes they are, especially above 4000 rpms. And the bigger MP inlet plenum is even better.

I've read a few times about raised tops hitting the hood.

The MP 3/4" raised top will clear stock hoods with room to spare even with new mounts. The ESM 1 1/4" raised top will rub slightly with good motor mounts (solid or gel filled). I cut a portion of the insulation out and glued a piece of black felt to keep it from rubbing the paint off.

I have an nice dent in my hood from racing with the torque strap adjusted too lose.

David

Les Borda said:
As far as dyno results go I'm not sure it did all that much horsepower wise but I do know it got me another 20-30ft.lbs of torque, I went from 325 to 358, also another 5mph top end through the traps at the track.

OMG... :eek:

and i havent put mine on yet?!?! was that just the top?

Back