Running colder "bad for lubrication"...How bad?

Mike Manzo

Someone told me that running my car cooler would hinder top-end lubrication and I wondered if this is true then why do people bother getting 180 thermostats.

I have an EEC Tuner and the stock thermostat (197) and I ran the cooling fans at lower turn on temps, but above 197. I raised the temps recently, but UNDER the seemingly too high numbers ford had programmed.

Funny thing is when I ran AMSOil 20-50, the car sounded like it was cold all the time. The engine is crap, (reman'd with issues from the start), but it always had that "cold clatter" noise that I often hear from 3.x chevy motors and the V6 Ford Windstars and Explorer 4.0 but this was at idle after running for a while.

Anyway, I would beat the crap out of it and then listen to the engine and it was quiet and sounded great. Then it idled for a while, cooled down and clattered again....Wierd. I switched to 0-30 during the dead of winter in an effort to get the oil to the places it needed to be faster, but I worry that the low starting weight was a bad idea considering it never got above operating temperature very often especially in the arctic cold we had here in Chicago.

So I experiment now with Castrol 5-50 (yikes the noise!) I bumped up the fan temps to 207 low speed on and 198 off or something close...I forgot.

The engine is on its final legs anyway and has a rod knock, but I wonder if that knock is due to my running cold-*** for many months. I dont want to duplicate the issue on the new engine that I am getting (hopefully soon)

I am wondering if running it cool with AMSOil was a bad idea. Before the EEC Tuner I ran AMSOil and it in fact did live up to the temperature claims. It in fact took less time to reach op-temp and when it did peak out at 220-230, the fans kicked in, cooled down and it took longer than normal to get back up there.

I dont think the temp settings caused the rod knock by themselves. Hell, I beat the hell out of it, I have it rev 500rpms higher than stock through the gear changes and have done other hellish things to it.

I just want to make damn sure that when I am not beating the hell out of it that I optimize my cooling system for efficiency, power and protection and accompany it with the right oil.

Thanks for any input...

- Mike

what oil to use???

You must first understand that oil has thicheners that give them the different weights at different temps........I would try and get the specs on the oil you what to use.......SEE WHAT TEMPS THEY CHANGE AT AND GO FROM THERE ........ALL THE BEST ............. FAST FREDDIE ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

Back